GMOs: Why would anyone think they're safe?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

51 Replies - 2206 Views - Last Post: 26 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GMOs: Why would anyone think they're safe?

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

sorry, was fucking around in the admin panel again.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 25 October 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 October 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

It's only AFTER the crabs invade your pubes or the warts appear on your genitals that you stop getting it on.

If you're one of those really picky types who actually cares enough about that sort of thing...

What I'm wondering is why would you stop after you've contracted them? You already have it now, might as well stick with doing it with the one person you know you're not going to "give" it to.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Perhaps I picked the wrong crotchial ailments to illustrate my point. I'm not exactly an expert on these things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 25 October 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 25 October 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 October 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

It's only AFTER the crabs invade your pubes or the warts appear on your genitals that you stop getting it on.

If you're one of those really picky types who actually cares enough about that sort of thing...

What I'm wondering is why would you stop after you've contracted them? You already have it now, might as well stick with doing it with the one person you know you're not going to "give" it to.

same reason i only sleep with pregnant women.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 October 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostCTphpnwb, on 24 October 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 23 October 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Hold on here. Have GMOs even been demonstrated to be harmful?

Wrong question. That question is the one the cigarette companies used in order to obfuscate the issue.The real question is "Have they been proven safe?" Remember that GMOs aren't nearly as avoidable as cigarette smoke and they're potentially much more deadly.

Let's switch this scenario a moment. You meet a girl. You are in a committed relationship with said girl. You're getting some bow-chicka-wow-wow on the regular. Why do you continue to do the horizontal mambo? Not because she's been "proven safe", but because she has not been demonstrated to be harmful. It's only AFTER the crabs invade your pubes or the warts appear on your genitals that you stop getting it on.

No, it's more like this:
You pick up a revolver that may or may not have 1 bullet. Every time you point it at your head and pull the trigger you're rewarded with food if you haven't died. How many times do you want to play?

View PostCraig328, on 24 October 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

The experiments we're conducting by splicing insect DNA into corn for example...

Let's get this one straight (as I've heard this one trotted out more times than should be allowed): it's not insect DNA being spliced into corn. It's a gene from bacteria that kills insects.

So? It's still taking genetic material and using it to reprogram another living organism in an untested, unproven way. The question is not whether that individual act is safe — although there's no proof that it is — the question is why, with all the evidence that humans aren't capable of writing bug free software (has anyone here done it with anything even mildly complex?) are we to assume that it can be done with enormously more complicated and far less understood genetics?

By the way, the idea that something's been around a while because we've been doing it for a few decades is silly. Our oldest civilizations have been around for the blink of an eye compared to the systems we're trying to manipulate.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 25 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 25 October 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 October 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 23 October 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Hold on here. Have GMOs even been demonstrated to be harmful?

Wrong question. That question is the one the cigarette companies used in order to obfuscate the issue.The real question is "Have they been proven safe?" Remember that GMOs aren't nearly as avoidable as cigarette smoke and they're potentially much more deadly.

Let's switch this scenario a moment. You meet a girl. You are in a committed relationship with said girl. You're getting some bow-chicka-wow-wow on the regular. Why do you continue to do the horizontal mambo? Not because she's been "proven safe", but because she has not been demonstrated to be harmful. It's only AFTER the crabs invade your pubes or the warts appear on your genitals that you stop getting it on.

No, it's more like this:
You pick up a revolver that may or may not have 1 bullet. Every time you point it at your head and pull the trigger you're rewarded with food if you haven't died. How many times do you want to play?

And the revolver holds millions of rounds as well.

Your example implies that there is a 1 in 12 chance that you'll die eating GMO.

The chance is NO WHERE NEAR THAT. Sure, there's a chance, there's always a chance something might kill you. Thing is, GMO doesn't even fucking register on the killing you meter at this moment.

Young man, go out into the world stripped of all young technology that has the potential to kill. Do you know what you would be left with?

I know, cause I lived that way as a little kid. Fucking farm house with a wood stove and fucking out house to shit in and raising animals at the fucking dawn of the morn. Fuck you dude, it sucks. I'll play russian roulette with your revolver if it means I don't have to shovel pig shit or birth a calf one more time. It's probably a hell of a lot safer then some of the jobs I had to do as a kid.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 25 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

CTphpnwb, you are all over the place which seems to indicate that you have not thought this through at all.

Why does everyone think I'm talking about personal safety? That's the least of my worries here.

No, it's more like this:

So are you arguing about personal safety or not?

The real question is "Have they been proven safe?"

So? It's still taking genetic material and using it to reprogram another living organism in an untested, unproven way. The question is not whether that individual act is safe although there's no proof that it is the question is why, with all the evidence that humans aren't capable of writing bug free software (has anyone here done it with anything even mildly complex?) are we to assume that it can be done with enormously more complicated and far less understood genetics?

Is the question "Have they been proven safe?" or not?

With regards to your claims in these quotes, how are GMOs untested or unproven? What tests do they still need to undergo that non-GMOs have passed? If we alter a plant with the intent to kill insects, and the plant kills insects, doesn't that prove the success of the GMO?

With respect to your revolver analogy, what kind of bullet are you expecting? Is it poison? Is it cancer inducing? These two scenarios as well as any other issue I can think of are equally likely in non-GMO as GMO. Thus, unless you have something specific in mind, your concerns seem to come off as assuming GMO has some magical property that we have to be careful of.

With respect to the software analogy, why should we think that "bugs" are dangerous? Most bugs, cause the program to not function, however you seem to think that if I write a buggy sort function, that it will hack into my bank account and empty my funds. You could argue this may actually happen if I am sorting bank accounts, but the result is severely messing up one system. What do you think happens if we severely mess up an individual organisms system? Will it get random destructive powers or just die? Again physics does not produce changes that match your level of concern, so it seems you are concerned about magic again.

By the way, the idea that something's been around a while because we've been doing it for a few decades is silly. Our oldest civilizations have been around for the blink of an eye compared to the systems we're trying to manipulate.

The oldest civilizations didn't eat the same "organic" food that you find today. They also had severely shorter lifespans. So, organic food has either failed the test, or never been properly tested in our recent age of extended life expectancy. They have also manipulated systems in an organic way that was harmful to the system.

Overall, you have not demonstrated that GMOs are any different from non-GMOs. You can still make statements like "GMOs have not been proven safe", but the same statement applies to non-GMOs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First