4 Replies - 282 Views - Last Post: 25 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to set up website to be managed by someone that doesnt know code

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

I am building a website for a friend who doesnt know anything about web development...I want to set it up so she can manage content and images herself (so I dont have constantly edit yhe html files and scripts myself.) I have been trying to research how this done, but cant seem to find what im looking for...can someone point me in the right direction. I just want to know where to begin so I can learn. I dont want to use some existing code, id like to learn to do this myself as it seems like it will a valuable thing to know how to do later on. Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to set up website to be managed by someone that doesnt know code

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to set up website to be managed by someone that doesnt know code

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

Without knowing much about what the website will contain, I would suggest wordpress. It will allow them to have their own username/password, & they can only edit the content, not the framework.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

I would really like to learn how to do this myself instead of turning to things like wordpress. I actually want to learn something here. Are there any good sources I can read to learn this area of web developement? Im just looking for a starting point so I can figure it out on my own....

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 23 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostshadowWraith1101, on 23 October 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

I would really like to learn how to do this myself instead of turning to things like wordpress. I actually want to learn something here. Are there any good sources I can read to learn this area of web developement? Im just looking for a starting point so I can figure it out on my own....

This area of web development your looking to learn about is php, sql, js, html and css. If you want to learn make a content management system I think you should keep it on your localhost and just set your friend up with wp and make him (or her) a theme. Why? Because there will most likely be major security flaws if you create something like this on your own for the first time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

I would generally agree with what .code stated. If all that needs to be changed is content build the site so the content is pulled from a db. Then setup an account where she can add new content to the db and it will pull from the newest entry. This is as basic as you can get.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1