• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 1987 Views - Last Post: 12 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

WOW or Guild Wars?

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hey I've played WOW and I loved it...except for the monthly fee. I've heard from friends that Guild Wars is like WOW but without the monthly fee. Anyone got any opinions!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: WOW or Guild Wars?

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: WOW or Guild Wars?

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

I heard from friends that there is correct forum to post in

moving
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

View PostNova Dragoon, on 13 Sep, 2007 - 09:26 PM, said:

I heard from friends that there is correct forum to post in

moving

sorry is it the game programming or just introduce yourself

Oh thx I didn't even see the game forum!!! Hahaha...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:29 PM

Guild Wars is not like WoW at all. Here is a snippet from the Guild Wars FAQ:

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

While WoW is very centered around it's PvE and acquisition of gear, Guild Wars is about skill and PK. There is a very detailed campaign but you will not be rolling on a pair of legs as you will never have anything like that drop from Mobs. Instead mobs drop weapons and gear modifications. The goal in PvE (unlike WoW) is the acquisition of skills. As you play through the game you can train skills as well as capture them from mobs. Each class combination has hundreds of skills to acquire. You can then take your PvE character into the battlegrounds or you can create a character that is already max level (this can be done as soon as you install the game) which is nothing more then a PvP character. The PvP character does not have access to the PvE world and is only for battlegrounds but it is not limited to playing only with other PvP characters. PvE characters that enter the battlegrounds can be playing with those characters. The skills that you acquire through your PvE character are available to your PvP characters.

Another big difference is how you use your skills. You don't have a bunch of bars with all your skills layed out. You have a single bar with 8 slots. You have to mix and match skills to create the skill set you think will be appropriate for the situation you are going into. You can also completely re-arrange all of your "talent" points before every PvP match (as well as at any outpost in PvE.) So anytime between matches or when you are in an outpost you can move your points around and change your skills around. This effectively allows you to respec your character between PvP matches and in between quest excursions. You have the ability to save these settings to templates, which you name, so that you can switch to one you like quickly.

Another big difference in the PvE world is the interaction with other players. When you are not at an outpost the world is instanced. Anytime you leave an outpost to go quest or you do a mission (sort of the equivalent to a dungeon in WoW) the world is created for you and your group. The servers are also shardless. What this means is that you don't have to pick the realm your friends play on. There are no realms. Everyone is connected. To eliminate overcrowding in outposts the game utilizes what it calls channels. These channels are created dynamically to accommodate the number of people currently in that particular outpost. You can pm someone or use guild chat with guildies no matter where they are in the world (whether instanced or outpost.) If you are not in the same outpost channel as someone you want to group up with you simply pm them and tell them which channel you are in. They can then pull down a list and select it.

The PvE portion of this game also REQUIRES a group. Unlike WoW, in which you can just skip the group stuff and achieve max level completely solo, this game requires a combination of characters to survive in the world. Since finding a group isn't always easy the game provides computer controlled characters that resemble the different class combinations in the game that you can add to your group to take with you. These characters share the loot just like a player.

These are some of the differences between the games. Basically these are two entirely different games. If you are looking for a time consuming game with a lot of varied activities (trades, tons and tons of different items in game, mounts, major gear management, etc.) then that game is WoW. If you are looking for something very skill and PvP based with a more campaign based PvE then give Guild Wars a try. The game certainly looks pretty and you certainly can't beat not having a monthly fee. Also, all the different Guild Wars games can be purchased independently of each other. If you did not want to get the original Guild Wars and chose to get, say Nightfall instead, you can do that. The games that you get will combine with each other to provide a larger world and more classes. As they are totally different experiences, I play both.

This post has been edited by Hyper_Eye: 13 September 2007 - 11:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:27 AM

whoa nelly

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

View PostHyper_Eye, on 13 Sep, 2007 - 11:29 PM, said:

Guild Wars is not like WoW at all. Here is a snippet from the Guild Wars FAQ:

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

While WoW is very centered around it's PvE and acquisition of gear, Guild Wars is about skill and PK. There is a very detailed campaign but you will not be rolling on a pair of legs as you will never have anything like that drop from Mobs. Instead mobs drop weapons and gear modifications. The goal in PvE (unlike WoW) is the acquisition of skills. As you play through the game you can train skills as well as capture them from mobs. Each class combination has hundreds of skills to acquire. You can then take your PvE character into the battlegrounds or you can create a character that is already max level (this can be done as soon as you install the game) which is nothing more then a PvP character. The PvP character does not have access to the PvE world and is only for battlegrounds but it is not limited to playing only with other PvP characters. PvE characters that enter the battlegrounds can be playing with those characters. The skills that you acquire through your PvE character are available to your PvP characters.

Another big difference is how you use your skills. You don't have a bunch of bars with all your skills layed out. You have a single bar with 8 slots. You have to mix and match skills to create the skill set you think will be appropriate for the situation you are going into. You can also completely re-arrange all of your "talent" points before every PvP match (as well as at any outpost in PvE.) So anytime between matches or when you are in an outpost you can move your points around and change your skills around. This effectively allows you to respec your character between PvP matches and in between quest excursions. You have the ability to save these settings to templates, which you name, so that you can switch to one you like quickly.

Another big difference in the PvE world is the interaction with other players. When you are not at an outpost the world is instanced. Anytime you leave an outpost to go quest or you do a mission (sort of the equivalent to a dungeon in WoW) the world is created for you and your group. The servers are also shardless. What this means is that you don't have to pick the realm your friends play on. There are no realms. Everyone is connected. To eliminate overcrowding in outposts the game utilizes what it calls channels. These channels are created dynamically to accommodate the number of people currently in that particular outpost. You can pm someone or use guild chat with guildies no matter where they are in the world (whether instanced or outpost.) If you are not in the same outpost channel as someone you want to group up with you simply pm them and tell them which channel you are in. They can then pull down a list and select it.

The PvE portion of this game also REQUIRES a group. Unlike WoW, in which you can just skip the group stuff and achieve max level completely solo, this game requires a combination of characters to survive in the world. Since finding a group isn't always easy the game provides computer controlled characters that resemble the different class combinations in the game that you can add to your group to take with you. These characters share the loot just like a player.

These are some of the differences between the games. Basically these are two entirely different games. If you are looking for a time consuming game with a lot of varied activities (trades, tons and tons of different items in game, mounts, major gear management, etc.) then that game is WoW. If you are looking for something very skill and PvP based with a more campaign based PvE then give Guild Wars a try. The game certainly looks pretty and you certainly can't beat not having a monthly fee. Also, all the different Guild Wars games can be purchased independently of each other. If you did not want to get the original Guild Wars and chose to get, say Nightfall instead, you can do that. The games that you get will combine with each other to provide a larger world and more classes. As they are totally different experiences, I play both.

Thank for the info I'm probably going to go get guild wars this week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Proud supporter of the lulz
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

Wow is free when your IQ is greater than 10.
http://maximerousseau.com/?p=30
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

View Postmax302, on 14 Sep, 2007 - 01:19 PM, said:

Wow is free when your IQ is greater than 10.
http://maximerousseau.com/?p=30

And free WoW is bug-a-licious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

Some classmates were saying that WoW is Organized and has incentives to level up while Guild wars is completely random with no incentives.

that true?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:59 PM

View PostCHrono13, on 15 Sep, 2007 - 11:19 AM, said:

Some classmates were saying that WoW is Organized and has incentives to level up while Guild wars is completely random with no incentives.

that true?

Guild Wars has a campaign that you play out. You will level up through the process of completing the campaign. Through completing the campaign you will acquire items and skills. I don't understand the statement about randomness. This game is more linear then WoW is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

mm.. I have Guild wars, it's not really all that great. Once you leave a town, you're no longer a part of the community - you're on your own. There aren't as many players as WoW, but there's quite a few.. they just aren't very helpful. I asked them a question, they either answered with "n00b lolz" or didn't answer at all (I assumed they were AFK.)

There are some +'s to it though - Firstly, if you like to solo monsters without being interrupted and having your kills stolen by other players, GW is fine for that aspect - and if you DO want to play with other people outside of town, you *MUST* invite them into a party *BEFORE* leaving the town.

I was playing WoW before GW.. I must say, I'm rather displeased, but in a way, glad that I at least tried it and still have the chance to go back to it if I ever want to again.

My suggestion to you, is, if you feel like you'll kick yourself for not trying it later, try it. You won't be able to return it to the store, because the keys are a one-use account activation. That and the stores think you're a pirating criminal if you even try to return an open box of software...

Oh- I only have Prophecies - I'll probably end up trying the other ones as well.. but in prophecies, you can only have four characters at the same time.

Have fun.

EDIT: You'll also want high-speed. I'm not sure with the other three (Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North), but you have to download around 100,000 files which are quite large. After that, it packs it into a .dat file called gw.dat in the installer folder. Mine is currently ~3.6 gigabytes. (I'm on dial up.. it took a while.) While you don't have to download them all at the same time, if you don't, and you enter a zone that you don't have the files for, be prepared to download around 10,000 files each new zone that you don't have the files for. (On dial up, it takes ~30 minute download for each new zone depending on the file size, which can wreck my mood to play, so I just downloaded them all at once by adding -image to the shortcut target.

This post has been edited by Sajes: 19 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:39 PM

View PostSajes, on 19 Sep, 2007 - 05:45 PM, said:

EDIT: You'll also want high-speed. I'm not sure with the other three (Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North), but you have to download around 100,000 files which are quite large. After that, it packs it into a .dat file called gw.dat in the installer folder. Mine is currently ~3.6 gigabytes. (I'm on dial up.. it took a while.) While you don't have to download them all at the same time, if you don't, and you enter a zone that you don't have the files for, be prepared to download around 10,000 files each new zone that you don't have the files for. (On dial up, it takes ~30 minute download for each new zone depending on the file size, which can wreck my mood to play, so I just downloaded them all at once by adding -image to the shortcut target.

What I did was leave the game on the login screen overnight. I haven't had to download before entering an area (except for short 1 - 2 second downloads for updates now and then) ever since. I am on a 8000/768 line so I don't know if doing that would work with dial-up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

View Posttimhair, on 25 Sep, 2007 - 11:15 AM, said:

*link removed*

Is there a way to report spam on this forum?

Edit: Spam link removed and original post deleted. You can use the report feature in the future for all those who are curious. Thanks! :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 09 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

View PostHyper_Eye, on 9 Oct, 2007 - 02:07 PM, said:

View Posttimhair, on 25 Sep, 2007 - 11:15 AM, said:

*link removed* If it is spam guys, don't keep quoting it. It just replicates the link.

Is there a way to report spam on this forum?

Yes, use the report button below his post.

Sorry to drag up a dead thread, but I wanted to update this with new info and some corrections to what I thought was wrong. GW has npcs that you can PvE(player vs environment) with. A new addition is you can unlock heros who are npcs with customizable skills and attributes, much like a player character. you can have up to 4 heros in your group, and there are many heros you can unlock in the game.

You can take any character from any campaign into any other campaign (read Nightfall, Prophecies, Factions, Eye of the North) if you own that campaign. Some skills are campaign dependant, meaning you can only unlock/use those skills if you have the campaign. You have to tie each campaign to one account in order to do this.

You can always buy extra character slots for 9.99 from the GW store, you are not limited to 4 characters. I bought all 4 campaigns, prophecies gives you 4 slots, Factions gives you 2, and Nightfall gives you 2. I bought 2 extra slots so that I could have a slot for each character type. There are 6 core professions, warrior, ranger, monk, necromancer, mesmer, elementalist, 2 Factions professions, ritualist and assassin, and 2 Nightfall professions, dervish and "spearchucker" (can't remember what it's called).

As far as GW being random, it's not. I've been playing for almost 3 yrs and still haven't beat all campaigns on all 10 characters. Matter of fact, I am far from it having only beaten 2 campaigns on 3 characters. There is a lot to do in PvE and if you don't dedicate yourself to playing every day you will likely never complete it. It is definately not random, the world doesn't change except with a select few missions, and the quests and missions are always in the same area. The mobs are almost always in the same place, the bosses have only two or three spawning spots if they have more than one.

PvP is not random, with the exception of who you're playing with, what your skill set is, what your enemies skill sets are, and the composition of their team (if they have a team). PvP is all about the team tbh, and it takes a lot of skill and practice, either that or reading the GW fansites to learn how to create and use builds. Even then, there is no build that is unbeatable. There's alway a way to counter a build. Damage is fairly random, like all rpgs.

Edit: Removed spam link in quoted material. Don't quote posts who have spam links it unless you remove the link. Thanks. ;)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 09 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +