2 Replies - 28478 Views - Last Post: 27 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do I combine vector lines drawn in Illustrator with different tool

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:43 AM

If I draw an illustration in Illustrator using, for instance, the pen tool then part of it with the line segment tool and part of it the pencil tool... How can I combine all the lines together so that I can color them in and place a fill inside the areas that are created? I just can’t seem to figure this out! My artwork does lack a touch…you shall better check out my stuff at http://celden.blogspot.com or on my web design company site and please tell what other remedy I shall apply.
I really am having a hard time explaining this.. and finding a solution.. I hope someone can please help me!

thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do I combine vector lines drawn in Illustrator with different tool

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How do I combine vector lines drawn in Illustrator with different tool

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

Firstly, I might suggest stop trying to pass someone else's work off as your own. Some people frown on this.

View Postpattersonz, on 14 Sep, 2007 - 12:43 AM, said:

If I draw an illustration in Illustrator using, for instance, the pen tool then part of it with the line segment tool and part of it the pencil tool... How can I combine all the lines together so that I can color them in and place a fill inside the areas that are created? I just can’t seem to figure this out! My artwork does lack a touch…you shall better check out my stuff at http://celden.blogspot.com or on my web design company site and please tell what other remedy I shall apply.
I really am having a hard time explaining this.. and finding a solution.. I hope someone can please help me!

thank you

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How do I combine vector lines drawn in Illustrator with different tool

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

View Postpattersonz, on 13 Sep, 2007 - 11:43 PM, said:

thank you

Hi:

There are several methods. First, some cautions: Make certain that your lines are on the same layer, and that nothing you don't want to join is on that layer. These methods work better if you work with simpler lines, so you may have to simplify some of your linework. Note that the pencil creates shapes with lots of points, again, simpler is easier to work with.

From another site << http://www.ehow.com/...llustrator.html >> (this is a pretty useful site):

Combine Two Paths With a Line or Corner
1. Use the white arrow or the lasso tool to select the points you want to select.
2. Open the "Object" menu from the tool bar at the top of the window in Adobe Illustrator.
3. Select "Paths" under the "Object" menu in Adobe Illustrator.
4. Pick a "Join" option. Once you open the "Join" option, you can choose to join the points by connecting them with a straight line or by joining them with a corner. To connect with a line segment, select "Smooth." To connect with a corner, select "Corner."

Connect Points That Are Overlapping
5. Choose the white arrow, direct-selection tool, from the "Toolbox" in Adobe Illustrator to move one point on top of the other point that you would like to join.
6. Switch to the "Lasso tool," and select the two over overlapping points.
7. Let Adobe Illustrator align your points perfectly. Open the "Object" menu in Adobe Illustrator. Then select "Path" and "Average."
8. Click the both option under the average window. This will place the points directly on top of one another.
9. Continue to join the paths by moving on to Step 2.

Have fun!
Was This Post Helpful? 1

Page 1 of 1