2 Replies - 338 Views - Last Post: 27 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Couple of basic questions about forms and forums

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

I've been slowly working on a community website where eventually there will be a forum, blog(s) and users can leave comments. Currently I use PHP and a mysql database with one user accounts table. I also eventually would like to have an extensive photo gallery.

1) Should I keep using PHP or switch to .NET for this particular site.

2) Should I validate my forms with JS or use the server code? And should I use a separate page for processing or process right on the form page?

3) What is a fairly cheap web development software tool to help me? I used to use Web Expression, and it worked great for making pages look good with HTML, CSS and even JS. But not too good when it comes to PHP. Right now I use Notepad++ for all my server code and copy and paste it back into the Web Expression pages. Then have to copy all the pages in the web expression folder into WAMPServer's WWW folder in order to see if they work because since I've started using PHP, my Web Expression pages no longer work when I try to preview them. I tried Web Matrix briefly about a year ago, but it made my SQL dB quit working, and seemed like I could only upload to an Azure account, and currently my site is hosted by Godaddy. In fact I couldn't get any dB to work with it except SQL jr or lite or something. Heard VS 2013 just came out, maybe that can help me.

I'm a fast learner, used to use VB long time ago, would like to know C# and Java eventually to make some Web based Games on the site too. :)/> Thanks for any input.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Couple of basic questions about forms and forums

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Couple of basic questions about forms and forums

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

1) I don't see why you would need to switch. After all, the very site you just asked your question on (DIC) is done in PHP and MySQL. Plus many popular forums and blogs are done on PHP. If you have started with that, you can definitely continue with that.

2) Answer... both. You should validate on the client using JS to help the user make sure they fill out the forms correctly and to reduce round trips to the server for the purpose of validating. But you should also have server side validation to make sure that all user supplied input is correct and free of issues. Remember, users can always turn off JS. Thus don't rely on JS exclusively but you should look at doing both for the best experience.

3) First of all VS 2013 is more focused on .NET languages, and not a tool for PHP development work. There are a couple PHP IDEs out there that can certainly make things a bit easier if you are a builder, but I have gotten around without them. Since PHP has its own internal web server, you can fire that up locally on your computer, use a great editor like Notepad++ or Sublime Text to write your code and view in a browser. PHP development is very much a hack together a few lines, then view in a browser type of development cycle. You can get IDEs that make it easier like PHPStorm or Aptana, but these editors again will help you debug and develop code in a not so "visual end result" experience.

Hope these answered your questions. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 26 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Couple of basic questions about forms and forums

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yes, that was very helpful. Thank you. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1