2 Replies - 532 Views - Last Post: 27 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

No Coding Knowledge as of Yet. = \

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hello, my name is Kris and I have no knowledge towards coding. The reason I'm looking into learning to code is that I want to be able to design my own applications/websites/games that will bring joy to the people that use them. I'm ego driven, someone praises me and applauds my work is all I need to keep me going.(Made a few crappy Anime related videos on youtube and the comments made me happy)

I have two requests of the people of DIC and would very much appreciate your help.

The first is that I'm trying to find a college that I can go to online and I'd like to specifically focus on Mobile Development. With all the reviews of different colleges I'm always afraid that I'll be screwed out of my money or the school isn't accredited enough. Thus I am asking DIC, the home of experienced people to help me out.

The second is that if someone could make me a "Coding Timeline" of sorts. What I mean is if someone could guide me in what to start learning and what steps to take after learning it.

I appreciated the help and look forward to keeping you up to date on my experiences. Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: No Coding Knowledge as of Yet. = \

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: No Coding Knowledge as of Yet. = \

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code SakeTGC! Glad you could join, but know that programming is not a great ego driven practice. There will be tons of long nights where a problem will stump you and make you sit there and stare at the screen. No ego stroking there. You sure get a boost when you do finally crack that tough problem, but just know that if you are in it for the glory of others appreciating your work all the time, you are choosing the wrong profession. Many times you will hash out a program for months straight only to unveil it to a bunch of non programmers who are like "oh that is nice" and they don't even look up from what they are doing.

In other words, programming can humble you quick. It is not for the big egos.

If you wish to continue, welcome aboard and we hope to see more of you. If you have any questions, be sure to show us the code you are working on too so we can help you better. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: No Coding Knowledge as of Yet. = \

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the insight. I have a "Two-stage" ego. The primary stage is the end product either simplying someone's life with a useful product or entertaining someone with some type of game or visual entertainment. The secondary ego is the fact that I can't just stop doing something once I get started, need to prove to myself I can finish it. Not sure if that's exactly an ego but still. :devil2:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1