1 Replies - 374 Views - Last Post: 02 November 2013 - 10:41 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question: Specific map type

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Im currently designing aa java game similar to (windows)ACE online and (Androud) The Infinite Black. Bare in mind, im still a noob to coding ;)/>/> so when it came to the map portion of creating a map im a bit frustrated.. I wanna use the map type like what the infinite black was using however I haven't found any tutorials (mostly found tile mapping) on explaining how or what type it is. Basically its a coordinate overlay on the canvas. Example: *= sector /-\|= possible movement path
 |      /
  /     \  |
   /       |
|  \    /

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question: Specific map type

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Question: Specific map type

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostJager686, on 27 October 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Im currently designing aa java game similar to (windows)ACE online and (Androud) The Infinite Black. Bare in mind, im still a noob to coding ;)/>/>/> so when it came to the map portion of creating a map im a bit frustrated.. I wanna use the map type like what the infinite black was using however I haven't found any tutorials (mostly found tile mapping) on explaining how or what type it is. Basically its a coordinate overlay on the canvas. Example: *= sector /-\|= possible movement path
 |      /
  /     \  |
   /       |
|  \    /

If I understand you correctly, you want the user to be able to only move in certain directions from the rooms (*). One way to do this, which if you are just beginning might be the easiest way for you, is to assign a value for each direction and then call a function to see if the user is exiting in as valid direction. Do this using if statements. There are some higher level ways that are more industry preferred, but this will work if you are just starting out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1