2 Replies - 1373 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Xamarin.. do you use it?

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I develop for Windows in C# with VS. The boss wants our application to also be published for Mac, and mobile versions for both Android and iOS. I came across Xamarin a few weeks ago, and I'm wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences.

The original plan was for me to learn Objective C and Java, and do all the coding myself. But I'm looking at Xamarin as a way to save a ton of money in development costs. I know there will be a learning curve involved, but it won't be nearly as significant as teaching myself 2 new languages. (Edit: I did take one Java class in college)

I use WPF already, and know I would need to completely decouple the UI and the business logic.

How thorough is the conversion. Say.. if I convert a Windows desktop application to an iOS app, how much cleanup typically needs to be done?

I've read a review here and there saying the conversion makes your mobile app too bloated. Has that been your experience?

Thanks for any input you can give. I do plan to download and evaluate it with the 30 day trial, but I know there are decades of experience on this board that could be really beneficial as I decide if this is the right solution for us.

This post has been edited by synlight: 28 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Xamarin.. do you use it?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Xamarin.. do you use it?

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

Yup.. I've used it. I enjoy it (mostly).. but it will take time to restructure how you coded to shove the majority into the common/shared class.

It works great for android, but you still need an IOS box to compile apple code (apple's funny that way on their requirements/signing/etc).

I'll try and keep this on this thread..

View Postsynlight, on 28 October 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

I'm bumping this because the boss has asked me to give Xamarin a serious evaluation.

modi, or anyone else who has used Xamarin, what's the learning curve like?
How much, if any, clean up do you have to do after converting your app to iOS?
Would you recommend this tool?

The learning curve is a pretty good grade.. You still need to think like an android dev (in terms of getting handles to GUI objects, layouts, etc).. but the rest is okay (standard C#).

SQLITE is a pain, but it's a pain everywhere..

Again - apple products need an apple box.

Xamarin iOS for Visual Studio allows iOS applications to be written and tested on Windows computers, with a networked Mac providing the build and deployment service.

http://docs.xamarin...._visual_studio/

Would I recommend - yes. I would also strongly urge you to have a dev device on hand (like a nexus 7).. their android emulators are painfully slow and can take upwards to fifteen minutes to get work.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Xamarin.. do you use it?

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

Thank modi! I do have a Mac mini in my office to use.

We're actually thinking about the Indie version, that doesn't have support for VS. I need a good reason to convince my boss to upgrade to Business. Especially since we also want to convert apps for Macs, which apparently has to be done with Xamarin Studio, instead of VS.

Our current app is written using WPF, and I'm going to restructure it using MVVM pattern. I already use SQLite, so at least there's that LOL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1