8 Replies - 1883 Views - Last Post: 29 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do moderators choose threads for featured content?

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hello all,
I found this post by skyhawk133 where he says:

"Featured Content" is now a combination of featured topics, new tutorials, threads with 10+ reputation (i.e. you can get your topics featured without a moderator doing it if enough people +rep it, or the posts inside it), and featured blogs.

I see that this was written a little bit over 3 years ago so I do not know if that information has been modified since then.

However, I would like to know how do moderators select a thread if it does not have enough rep as Chris originally stated if that's even possible.

Thanks in advance :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do moderators choose threads for featured content?

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do moderators choose threads for featured content?

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

I don't feature many threads, but when I do it is normally something that has a good discussion going a fairly broad interest, and I believe should have more visibility than may be available from its specific forum. I believe that most other staff members will have a similar answer.

However, I believe that the vast majority of featured threads are based off of rep... though I may be wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 28 October 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

I don't feature many threads, but when I do it is normally something that has a good discussion going a fairly broad interest, and I believe should have more visibility than may be available from its specific forum. I believe that most other staff members will have a similar answer.

However, I believe that the vast majority of featured threads are based off of rep... though I may be wrong.

Thanks BetaWar :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Simple write a topic post that is worthy of being featured.
Or one that gets people talking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 28 October 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Simple write a topic post that is worthy of being featured.
Or one that gets people talking.

Thanks AdamSpeight2008:)
In your opinion, what is worthy of being featured? I'm not trying to troll but I'm just curious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

One that get people talking arguing about various techniques and approaches.
Challenges get featured but they are Moderator Approval any ways.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 28 October 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

One that get people talking arguing about various techniques and approaches.
Challenges get featured but they are Moderator Approval any ways.

Oh I see. Thanks :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Basically, it's up to us. I personally look for threads that will likely produce (or already have produced) some interesting discussion. That's really it. I don't go out of my way to actually search for it, but if I read a thread that happens to fit, I will feature it. I don't do that often, since most threads that deserve to be frontpaged already are from some of the more automatic methods (number of replies, amount of rep given to single posts, total rep in the thread, etc...)

My best advice is: don't try to make a thread that will get featured. Just make the threads you need to make, be it help threads or sharing great industry articles or discussion topics. If we think they need more visibility, we'll handle that side of things. If there is some particular reason you feel that your thread deserves featuring and we haven't done so, feel free to PM one of the moderators or admins (dark blue and green badges respectively), but understand that it's solely up to our discretion, and our decisions are final.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 29 October 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Basically, it's up to us. I personally look for threads that will likely produce (or already have produced) some interesting discussion. That's really it. I don't go out of my way to actually search for it, but if I read a thread that happens to fit, I will feature it. I don't do that often, since most threads that deserve to be frontpaged already are from some of the more automatic methods (number of replies, amount of rep given to single posts, total rep in the thread, etc...)

My best advice is: don't try to make a thread that will get featured. Just make the threads you need to make, be it help threads or sharing great industry articles or discussion topics. If we think they need more visibility, we'll handle that side of things. If there is some particular reason you feel that your thread deserves featuring and we haven't done so, feel free to PM one of the moderators or admins (dark blue and green badges respectively), but understand that it's solely up to our discretion, and our decisions are final.

Thanks Curtis Rutland for your insight :)
I personally didn't have a thread that I felt needed featuring but I was just curious to how the process worked.
Your help is much appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1