5 Replies - 2539 Views - Last Post: 29 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where are most jobs/best pay: Java/Eclipse or C#/Visual Studio?

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Where are most jobs/best pay, Java/Eclipse or C#/Visual Studio?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where are most jobs/best pay: Java/Eclipse or C#/Visual Studio?

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where are most jobs/best pay: Java/Eclipse or C#/Visual Studio?

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Taking your question literally, I'm guessing that Visual Studio has better pay than Eclipse because Eclipse is free while you have to pay for the more advanced copies of Visual Studio. As for the most jobs, I think that there are more Java jobs than C# jobs, but I'm just basing that on the distribution of Java across platforms/devices vs. C#.

But obviously, that is not what you are asking. I think you are asking about which language will pay more. For that I don't have a good feel to be able to respond.

I doubt that this question is really a C# question, so I'm moving it to the Software Development forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postdfl, on 28 October 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Where are most jobs/best pay, Java/Eclipse or C#/Visual Studio?

In the programming industry
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

The simple truth is, it doesn't matter. Or rather, it does matter, but other things matter a lot more. How much experience do you have? What area of what country do you live in, or if you'd rather work elsewhere, where do you want to work?

Those are the important questions, because they define what you make almost more than anything else. I'm sure you could find some averages that show Language A paying higher than Language B, but what if there are no Language A jobs in your preferred area? Or if there are lots more Language B jobs than there are programmers?

That's why you need to do your own research. But even more important than that, choose which ever makes you happier. The difference in average C# vs Java salary can't be high enough to choose one you dislike.

In short, I hate the attitude that programming should be about finding the best paying job and focusing everything on that particular pursuit. We have so much flexibility compared to some other professions. Languages don't matter; logic does. If you're a good programmer, you can change languages like you can change clothing, because you understand the logic behind the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 29 October 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

We have so much flexibility compared to some other professions. Languages don't matter; logic does. If you're a good programmer, you can change languages like you can change clothing, because you understand the logic behind the language.

And if the language really drives you batty, you will be motivated enough to write your own cross compiler or code generator so that you can write in the language of your choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Side note: if you're interested in doing something like that, check out the Irony project on Codeplex. It's pretty awesome; you can write your BNF rules in C# very "fluently", and with some work once you've defined all your language constructs, you can parse text into an Abstract Syntax Tree and actually write your language implementation in C#. Great for simple DSLs, and they give you lots of examples in the project (like mini-python, sql, BASIC, stuff like that, here's an example of SQL Grammar). I'm currently in the (long running) process of creating a domain-specific language for interacting with CRM Dynamics 2011.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1