Gaming Interests

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1290 Views - Last Post: 10 December 2013 - 03:48 PM Rate Topic: -----

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Gaming Interests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

Ok, some of you know that I have been working on Table top Game. Currently, I am almost to the point where I need some feed back on some of the game concepts. I was wondering if anyone would like to contribute. Just let you know this has been a pet project of mine for almost 10 years. (Long Story) I have no idea if or when I get published but all contributing will be accredited (sp?) for their contributions. Plus I thought it would be good tangent to go off on. Let me know what you think.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Gaming Interests

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Gaming Interests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

Dump out what you want to ask folks.. they'll respond if they want to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

What kind of table top game?

Board game (monopoly, sorry, etc)
Exotic Board game (mouse trap, any extravagant board game like those in the 80's and 90's where you smashed things)
Card game
RPG (I'm betting it's an RPG... right?)
Tile or Dice (I often lump these together)

So what are you making?

Also, you have 27 posts, not many of us probably know who you even are let alone that you're making a tabletop game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

Game Information:
RPG - Table Top - Post Apocalyptic/Alternate Earth/Randomized World.
Dice System (%,20)
Simplified Rules System (Done for both the Beginner and Advanced Player)

-Think Rifts (General Idea) meets Shadow Run (Only 3 Corporations) in Wastelands. (No I didn't know about Borderlands when I started Creating the game and this is actually Different but along the same lines)
-3 Main Stats, 9 Skills, 99 Abilities, 2054 (currently) monsters, and endless way to die.

My Information:
Education: Military (6 Years as a Medic), Associates Degree in Computer Programming and System Analysis
Languages Known:
Strong: VB (VB.net, VBA), C#, Java, Web(HTML,DHTML, XML), SQL
Mediocre: PHP
Beginner:PERL, CGI, Cold Fusion,Oracle, Ruby

10+ years of Hardware/Software Support on all Levels. Main Windows OSs though I do know Mac and Linux.
Personal Facts: I am Gamer and Family Man. I worked in State Hospital as a Security Officer for 4.5 years but prefer IT.

If it is electronic I can figure it out.

Well That is an update on me and what I am working on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

Currently, I am almost to the point where I need some feed back on some of the game concepts.

Okie-dokey.. lay out the questions on the game concepts..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

Concept 1:
Randomized Environment, the Idea behind it is based on the area that you are in you have a limited amount of time in that area before it changes (Time Period/Era/Etc) Giving a set amount of time to do a task or assignment. The time varies from 1 minutes to 1 year based on different effects going on in the game.

Concept 2:
3 stats system (Physical/Mental/Social) Runs your 9 skill (Offense/Defense/Language/Craft/Knowledge/Ability/Sensory/Athletics/Negotiation), your sub stats (Hit Points/Energy Points/Initiative/Armor/Save/etc.), and your abilities (though not everyone will have Abilities like flight/energy bursts/Etc)

Concept 3:
Skill Checks have to ways be accomplished A) A Target Number check with d20 + Skill Rank + MISC(For First Time Tasks) and % Dice with your Skill Rank + Associated Attribute as the number to roll under (For Existing Tasks)

Concept 4: Gamers start in a Equatorial Space Complex made by Alpha Engineering Corporation and have to travel to the surface of the planet to find resources, recover different items, protect resources, and other missions. There is also a subterranean complex of Earth's Surface, Moon Complex and a Complex on Mars.(Currently I am working from the space stations scenario)

Concept 5: Monsters are based on Fantasy and Historical Mythology. Although the most dangerous creature in the game is the players. (Not overpowered but the fact they are free thinking)

Ok those 5 will be the ones I start with. Let me know what you think about them. or if they need more explaining.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Concept 1:
Randomized Environment, the Idea behind it is based on the area that you are in you have a limited amount of time in that area before it changes (Time Period/Era/Etc) Giving a set amount of time to do a task or assignment. The time varies from 1 minutes to 1 year based on different effects going on in the game.

Somewhat okay, but that seems like a DM/GM nightmare, and - for me - lends to a lessened sense of cohesive setting/world building. Maybe pockets of instability that happen (I guess.. sure.. like Rifts), but having the area change constantly makes the cohesive world ecology break down.

Concept 2:
3 stats system (Physical/Mental/Social) Runs your 9 skill (Offense/Defense/Language/Craft/Knowledge/Ability/Sensory/Athletics/Negotiation), your sub stats (Hit Points/Energy Points/Initiative/Armor/Save/etc.), and your abilities (though not everyone will have Abilities like flight/energy bursts/Etc)

Personally that seems like you are shortchanging the list of skills. Maybe I am a large fan of a varied and deep skills options, but it seems like a odd dependency tree.

Concept 3:
Skill Checks have to ways be accomplished A) A Target Number check with d20 + Skill Rank + MISC(For First Time Tasks) and % Dice with your Skill Rank + Associated Attribute as the number to roll under (For Existing Tasks)

I am not sure what is gained for 'first time tasks' to be tossed in there.. Way to granular.

Wait - you are doing a roll under to do the task?

You may want to keep the basic d20 open rules as the trunk, and build the world around them.

Concept 4: Gamers start in a Equatorial Space Complex made by Alpha Engineering Corporation and have to travel to the surface of the planet to find resources, recover different items, protect resources, and other missions. There is also a subterranean complex of Earth's Surface, Moon Complex and a Complex on Mars.(Currently I am working from the space stations scenario)

What's the back story for these complexes? If Earth is a wasteland it would seem.. hard.. to get space complexes off the ground.

Concept 5: Monsters are based on Fantasy and Historical Mythology. Although the most dangerous creature in the game is the players. (Not overpowered but the fact they are free thinking)

Okay.. fairly standard monsters meet madmax then?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Concept 1:
I have divided the world up into 'sectors' based on populace level (2003? Census) each sector has an associated randomization Where 1 sector might be stable in time (ie. Time Runs Normal ) it might have a fantasy feel to it. (Middle Ages or Straight out DnD). The randomization will occur at a set pattern ( So Say a Time Stable World with Unstable Reality might change from Middle Ages to Prehistoric, the changes are predictable and have a visual effect when they occur. Anyone in it would save against the change to retain memory from the post age. Otherwise it is like entering the area a anew. (You landed needed to get iron from middle age era, randomization happens 1 hour later. You are like, hey we need to get iron from this prehistoric era versus OK that was weird, lets go over there and get the iron and get out of here)
So as game play goes, most of the fluctuations happen on regular scheduled intervals. Only in specific cross over regions do they get completely chaotic.

Concept 2/3:
I am working on away to specialize in each of the 9 basics (that way skills for advance players can progress where a newbie can just use the base) and I think I might swap the first and secondary types I mention, I was going for gain bonus XP from first time try.

Concept 4: I have history, basically as you take your time in the game and do some checks you find out the history. Basis is this the players are born in one of the complexes, live their lives up to 18 studying. At the age of 18 they have a mandatory of 1 year of Security Service , then they can choose to be whatever. Alpha Complex (Equator Space Station) was designed before the the bomb fell (a quasi antimatter bomb) to house 500k People around the world. After it fell, then came the coporate wars, which split off from the complex and destroying parts of it. Luna Complex (Moon Base) was part of the Luna Corporation of Scientific Exploration. Ares Complex (Mars Base) was part of the Arms Restoration Equipment Syndicate. Terran Base (Subterranean Earth Base) was part of the original government before the bomb dropped (USA). There are 4-6 other Terran bases, but I haven't fleshed the story out for them yet. Of course this all happened about 2 centuries ago.

Concept 5: Yeah with Exception, they have more knowledge on the usage of newer weapons. There will be kobolds with pistols.(Get Ready to Run)

Side Note: I am trying to figure out if I want to go with a "Omni" Rifle and "Omni" Blade and just have them modular OR go with the traditional 500+ Weapons I have written out.

BTW: I used to be professional DM back in 2001-2004 for DnD. Things I have been trying to keep in mind , is fun factor ( is the game going to be fun and will anyone want to play it after the first time), beginner understanding/ Advancement (Is the game easy enough for a beginner to pick up and interesting enough for an advance player to keep playing) and is it going to be exciting. I didn't like games that took a lot of time to understand how to play as a player or DM and I definitely enjoyed a challenge when I did play for awhile. Another Item I have been considering is , will this game transfer over in the electronic format easily? Eventually, I want it to become a video game but right now I just want it as table top.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

I am still having hangups on the shifting nature of the sectors.. It sounds like a larger version of "A Sound of Thunder".

Anyone in it would save against the change to retain memory from the post age. Otherwise it is like entering the area a anew. (You landed needed to get iron from middle age era, randomization happens 1 hour later. You are like, hey we need to get iron from this prehistoric era versus OK that was weird, lets go over there and get the iron and get out of here)

I am not tracking, what sort of memory loss? It is not making sense on why or what would alter.

Side Note: I am trying to figure out if I want to go with a "Omni" Rifle and "Omni" Blade and just have them modular OR go with the traditional 500+ Weapons I have written out.

.. or go with socketable weapons..

Another Item I have been considering is , will this game transfer over in the electronic format easily? Eventually, I want it to become a video game but right now I just want it as table top.

I would imagine most/all game mechanics can be represented in a videogame in some fashion..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

idea behind concept 1 is that the world was destroyed in quasi bomb of sorts, shifting time and reality out of place and opening portals/gateways to other times and eras. (as the general hash) I can see your point, sectors should be stable in an Era, and I can still keep the crossing points of the sector as absolute chaos. (Dang it, I think my map now looks like something from raven loft)

Weapons: Currently I am sitting over 500+ Weapons to stat logically (From all Eras and Times), 250+ Armors, 1000+ Trade Goods/Commodities, 500+ Tools/Gear. I am seriously needing to cut these down, omni system is one thought. Make a list of common weapons/items is another.
I kinda like the "Omni" Idea, with modular barrels, components for weapons . Then you can change out the module and change the Damage/Attack/Critical/Distance/Area of Effect on the weapon as well as its size (in some cases). I want to stay away from lots of hybrid weapons though.

Currency was easy, I went with a gold/credit system. On station 20 credits are equal to 1 gold piece.

Materials was easy to I went with a Damage Reduction and HP per inch system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Its going to have Vehicles, Poisons, Diseases, and Much More.

Its a Classless system where player use experience to buy Levels and rank up on abilities,skills,etc.

It has a Edge/Hindrance System (and on my current document, it isn't finished for some reason)

The attack System is what took the longest to develop and I think there might still be a glitch in it( I am currently working on seeing how overpowered the abilities are at there current stats)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

Took your advice Modi. Decided to rework the world a bit and half. I am now fleshing out the history so that it is tangible. I am currently researching Pangaea and Plate Tectonics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

made some quick maps, in the current time frame the world is in a pangea like continent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

I began working on Wall Breaker. A small game that you work on destroy wall for coins. The basis behind it will be used for the my main game's Hit Points and Durability of Materials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Decided to start smaller until I could get my XNA up and running. I have a water down text based version of the game going. Currently you can create your character, generate an adventure. Soon you will be able to fight a monster.I will expand from their, until I can get XNA up and running and then I will start working on the Wall Breaker game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +