• +
  • « First

1253 Replies - 36534 Views - Last Post: Today, 10:49 AM

• DLN-000

• View blog

Re: Video Games Currently Working On

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:17 AM

I played a lot of FTL over the weekend haha, I love the update

took the Lanius cruiser, killed my human, and vented all the rooms. Cruised through on Hard and won with 3 Lanius (got one in an event) - my ship was the Chain Burst Laser, 2x Burst Laser Mark 2, and a Swarm missile. Add in an automated reloader. Fun times. I really want to try and get 2 Vulcans and a weapons preigniter - or 4 chain burst lasers and a weapons preigniter haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:27 AM

I'm not up to playing it on hard yet. Sometimes, the end boss will even still kill me on easy. I think you highlight where I go wrong though. I look for the big guns, the Glaive, or the Vulcan, or the Burst Laser Mk 3, then outfit the rest around that. Or I arse around with other systems. Having hacking, cloaking and drone control is all well and good, but not if you haven't worked out a reasonable tactic to work with them.

I almost won with the stealth cruiser C. Made it to the final stage of the boss fight, but only 3 shields were not enough to survive it. That was with a couple of burst laser 2s, a glaive, and a defense drone mk 2. The defense drone was helpful, but I'm not sure if having a pair of defense 1s would be better, just to counteract the triple missile launcher the boss has.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

Here's a good trick I discovered very quickly.

Don't get a drone subsystem. Or do if you can get a drone recovery arm. If you get drones, just go for a Combat Drone 2 and Combat Drone 1. You want to only rely on 6 power but upgrade all the way to 8. This gives you some wiggle room when missiles hit your drone bay.

You want Mind Control, Hacking, Cloaking, all maxed.

You'll use Mind Control for 2 primary reasons: countering mind control on your own ship, and countering boarding parties. If the other crew has Mantis you may be able to take someone out by Mind Controlling a Mantis.

Cloak AFTER launching a volley or when first arriving in combat. It prevents enemy ships from targeting you and charging their weapons, which basically means more time that you're targeting them. It also puts you on even footing against other cloaking ships who will use that tactic. Cloaking also increases your evasion significantly - use it to dodge the power surge attacks from the final boss.

HACKING! Holy shit Hacking is so cool. Ok so basically, there are two tricks I found for hacking. First, if you build a boarding ship, hack the med bay. Then run around and kill everyone - when they retreat to med bay, fire up the hack and watch them all die.

If you're rolling with lots of lasers like I tend to, drop the hack on their shields, target their shield room with your lasers, and when they're at about half charge hit the hack. You'll learn after a few goes how to time it right so that their shields go down as your lasers go into the air. Your first volley should be enough to take down their shields - then if you have 4 different lasers target their other systems, usually 2 focused on weapons.

Beam weapons are cool, like the Glaive Beam, but they've got some major flaws. They take way too long to charge, and are too vulnerable to shields. One missile bay is usually nice - when you get to the point that the enemy has 4 shields you can bypass them all and dump missiles into their shield generator. Bombs are the best imo because they bypass defense drones. Drop a bomb in the shield bay and unleash 9 shots from your burst laser mk 2s, you'll eat through them in no time.

The difficulty difference seems to be 2 things: you start with less scrap (30/10/0) and enemy ships are better outfitted. It doesn't change damage or tactics.

oh and the backup battery is cool too. Use that to power things like drones or your mind control
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

We pretty much have the same idea about hacking, although on the boss battle, I also tried hacking the missile launcher room. It wasn't too effective, as it slowed down the launch of missiles, but if the missile launcher was destroyed, the hacking was pretty much useless.

Drone control I tend to use for defense, although my very first victory was with the Engi cruiser with combat drones. Having a defense drone up makes you pretty much immune to missile fire up until the last boss, when they fire three missiles at you at the same time. Even then it helps since they shoot the missiles down.

Cloaking is great, although I start combat by cloaking. That usually gives me the first volley and, with any luck, do enough damage that they can't return fire. After the initial barrage, I tend to use it defensively, waiting until they fire their weapons. Ideally something high damage like missiles or beams.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

I picked up Plague inc this weekend. It came with the simian virus, but I am currently stuck on the necroa virus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:04 AM

I gave up on XCOM's marathon mode for now and started a normal game. I only got as far as the middle of April before having to call it a night though, but even by then I had the free satellite uplink, one completed towards the end of March, and another due to be finished well before April's Council report.

So, compared to marathon mode where I could get a total of 2-5 (if I was really lucky) satellites up by the end of April, on my normal game, I'm well on track to have 8 satellites launched.

I think for future attempts at marathon mode, I may have to consider sacrificing some of the planet to the aliens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

Plague Inc Evolved Update:
Complete All Virus on Normal Mode, Now on to Brutal
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

I like to challenge myself and my opinions on things frequently. I like to find ways to make use of something I feel is useless.

So after my comment about beam weapons being more or less worthless (at least, less worthwhile than any projectile - laser or missile), I decided to do a beam weapon run.

It was devastating, but I got utterly raped by the boss. I did it again and collected projectile weapons for the boss and demolished him too.

So here was my layout on the second run, takes a little luck to come across the right pieces but:

weapons:
1 Breach Bomb II
3 Pike Beams

drones:
1 Combat Drone Mark II
1 Combat Drone Mark I

additional systems:
Hacking
Mind Control
backup battery

automated reloader
zoltan shield bypass
battery charger(least important - if you have a good ship specific aug like repair gel or zoltan shield, use that)

Tactics:

This takes some setting up to work well, but it's pretty reliable.
If the enemy ship has an anti-drone drone, you need to breach bomb its drone control.
If the enemy ship has a zoltan shield, launch your drones to eat its shield.

Once the path is cleared, launch your Hack on their shield room. Wait until your pike beams are halfway charged and then activate to drain their shields completely. The second the shields go down, let loose with your pike beams. You can crap out some serious damage this way - hit as many rooms as you can.

With a weapons preigniter on a ship with no anti-drones and no zoltan shields you may be able to just crap out near instant death. I didn't have the luck to come across one in either run though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Today, 10:49 AM

A few space sim games to keep an eye out for

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/
http://en.spaceengine.org/
Rodina - http://elliptic-games.com/