• +
  • « First

1300 Replies - 38975 Views - Last Post: Today, 01:21 PM

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Video Games Currently Working On

Posted Yesterday, 01:22 AM

I added a new game to my wishlist over the weekend - 7 Days To Die. From what I have seen, it looks like a cross between Minecraft and Walking Dead. The zombie apocalypse has arrived, and it is your job simply to survive.

You go around collecting items and trying to avoid being bitten, then you use those items to craft something to help you stay alive that bit longer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Today, 12:40 AM

figure this would be the best place for this

the-growing-illusion-of-single-player-gaming(slashdot)

I do agree with the premise (not sure that i felt that way about Diablo 3 tho) that by focusing on the multiplayer aspect (whether it be a financially motivated decision or in order to facilitate replay) i feel that a lot of the mainstream releases in recent years are no where near as enjoyable as the more story driven games of yore (makes me think of Kings Quest, which was awesome)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Today, 01:53 AM

Nice article, Damage. Thanks for sharing.

I know exactly where he is coming from. I commented on it back when Titanfall came out, and now Destiny is following the same path. Shame, it's another game which I thought had great potential, but a half arsed single player mode really puts me off.

We are seeing a retreat of single player, but it remains in arguably capable hands. I'm ok with EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom, and others leaving the field, as long as companies like Bethesda, Nintendo, Rockstar, Firaxis and countless indies continue to fill the space.

One of the comments on the article. This, I could agree with. So long as there are companies out there making good single player games, it's all good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted Today, 04:04 AM

kids got Destiny so there is that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted Today, 06:47 AM

I wish my steam games would wait to go on sale after Oct 2nd.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1296 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Today, 07:58 AM

What's the skinny on this "Miegakure" game? Thoughts?
miegakure.com

Miegakure is an upcoming indie video game platform in which the gamer explores four-dimensional space in order to solve various higher-dimensional puzzles within a garden setting. Inspired by the classic science-fiction novella Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbot Abbot, Miegakure plays much like a regular three-dimensional platformer, but at the press of a button one of the dimensions is exchanged with its four-dimensional counterpart, allowing for four-dimensional movement as the player explores this new dimension in the same way that a two-dimensional being would explore the third, experiencing the various consequences of being able to move within a four-dimensional space by allowing players to experience it first-hand, using trial and error.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Miegakure
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted Today, 08:41 AM

So Thursday my roommate convinced me to give Archeage a shot in its headstart. He went on to explain the different aspects of it that he liked. Now keep in mind, this a guy who, like me, has been burnt out on MMOs for years. We want something new and enjoyable and actually different.

Archeage comes close. It's certainly engaging.

The most radical aspect: it's a sandbox. Unlike Rift or EQ or any other generic MMO, the focus isn't BARF(Battlegrounds, Achievements, Raids, Farming) - it's on player control of the world.

The best equipment is crafted. That isn't going to change from dungeons, quests, etc. The economy is player driven. PvP isn't an optional setting - I can go "bloodlust mode" and just start gacking people. This guy kept inviting me to raid and I kept declining, so finally I joined and walked over to him, dropped, bloodlusted, and greased him.

Your mount can follow you around, level up, get skills of its own, is a pet for all intents and purposes, can even get defense/offensive modes.

Player housing isn't instanced, which I've always found obnoxious. There are huge housing areas, which is appropriate. The really cool immediate effect this has is that cities actually look like cities with tons of housing outside the inner walls (or inside in some cases).

Resource gathering is a mission. Nodes can be ripped up out of the ground entirely. You can plant new nodes and come back to them later. Farming is leveraged as a reason to group, rather than a solo project - because PvP and ownership.

There's also an in-game justice system where you can be sentenced for doing things like PKing and stealing peoples crops (even illegally planted ones).

So like, yesterday there was a big 200 man battle between our Alliance (3 guilds) and another over a stand of 500 illegally planted trees. The timers had come up on them and we all went and fought to get them. I took about 40 myself between fighting and punking people.

But there's more! Mobility is king. The graphics in the game are impressive, and the physics too. The cloth effects are great - clothing isn't just a texture on a semi-static model, it's fully independent. Oh but the mobility! You can fly, boat, swim, whatever you want to do.

I'm in a group that's going to split from our guild (pre-planned, not drama split) to form a "Pirate Guild" - that is, once you hit something like 5000 crime points you turn into a pirate and are now friendly to pirates but are hostile to all other factions. We went and took "Pirate Island" and put our houses there, planted some farms, etc. I put down a bunch of illegal bamboo for the guild. It's pretty sweet.

Here are some screenshots of the game. I DO have some serious gripes about the UI - but once you get past that, it's actually pretty sweet.
Imgur Album

I'm Cizero on Salphira. The game is Free to Play and launches today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Today, 08:48 AM

Archeage is sounding interesting, although I'll admit I'm not a fan of constant PvP.

That said, that is about the only part of your description I don't like the sound of. I may have to investigate over the next few days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted Today, 08:53 AM

Right on. It's not Darkfall-esque, like walk out the gate and get gacked. There are consequences and you can be arrested and tried and thrown in jail. Saw one guy get tried and sentenced to 700 minutes in jail (roughly 11.5 hours). But he had been running around all morning tearing up peoples shit and being a nuisance.

I'm fairly certain you don't have to be logged in for your term, so you could switch to an alt, but it's still a nice little form of player-driven justice. Oh yea, players are selected by the system to form a jury and pass judgment by voting for or against you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted Today, 09:25 AM

Sounds cool, but I don't think my laptop cand handle it , I will check tonight
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted Today, 01:21 PM

I was afraid that it would be a mix of The Sims, FarmVille and Final Fantasy, but your screenshots are quite appealing. It doesn't seem too Asian/cute (Korea != Japan it seems). I can almost imagine epic naval battles... I like the idea that you can attack caravans, be a pirate, be out of the player-driven system.

I'm just not into MMOs any more. I like when there is a story: a beginning and an end (the latter is very important for my social life XD)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (87 Pages)
  • +
  • « First