3 Replies - 2033 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

XFinity or Comcast Business Class

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hello! I'm looking for some input and advice today. Me and my family have always had internet issues in the house. We run two belkin routers (n600 and some other lower version) that has some 20+ devices connected to them. On weekends with other people over, it's tons more. This is on a "20/5" plan (which means 3/1 on average, 10/3 on a slow night). Needless to say, it sucks.

I presented the option of running our own cat 6 cable throughout the house. There's an old security system that is prewired into multiple areas of the house that'll make for a perfect switch hub and will result in ~25% of the wiring work being done. The current plan is XFinity modem -> Router placed in DMZ, with DD-WRT installed with QoS enabled (mainly for visitors and mobile devices) -> cat 6 switch -> wallplates in planned rooms

Now I have two questions... Is there a specific tried-and-true setup I should use to modify my plan? Also, pretty much what this thread is for, should I go with XFinity or Comcast Business Class? Pretty much offered by the same company, all that matters is how much they value us as customers and as such, how much of the "plan" we retain. I don't want something where we're paying $100 for 50/20 and we're only getting 10/5 or so...

Thanks guys!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: XFinity or Comcast Business Class

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XFinity or Comcast Business Class

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:42 AM

Is FIOS an option? If so, dump Comcast and go with Verizon FIOS. I was so happy when I made that switch. At that time, their advertised speed was the speed you actually got, not some weird fraction where they give you the Speedboost as the advertised speed, but get a tiny fraction of that as the steady state. Going back to cable when I moved sucked big time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Unfortunately not. However after looking up ISP plans and filing a quote for business class, my internet speeds shot up to what we're paying for... So either XFinity figured they didn't want to lose another customer, or someone in the house stopped hogging bandwidth.

Oh well. I've been thinking about the plan and figure it's more pain than what it's worth considering I'll be moving out soon and the house would be sold. I figure the most I'll do is buy a nice gigabit router to replace the Belkins.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm not sure how comcast structures in your area.

In our area business class is usually for just that, businesses. And if you're located in none residential you can ONLY get business class, and if you're in residential you have to special order it.

Other thing is the only real difference between the two is that the business class in our area is a LOT more expensive, but comes with better upload speeds (relative to the download speed you select). As well as usually coming with static IP by default, where as getting static ip on xfinity comes with a lot of sales folk on the phone scratching their heads about what that even is.

I also know that in my area we get really good xfinity speeds. There is even a 100 meg+ plan (it's expensive, I think like 90 bucks a month), and it's not 100% guaranteed 100 meg. I personally have the 50 meg plan and I steadily get 30 to 60 megs depending the time of day (that's bits, not bytes).

I have a wired house (cat5e) and only recently went with a wireless router. I currently use a linksys e4200 flashed with dd-wrt. It handles the routing and is connected to a gigabit switch that takes in all the connections. It has dual wifi antenna, which is pretty cool when there's a lot of wifi devices in the house.

For a while I had just a shit router running cables on the floor around the house (this was a long while back), I quickly wired up my house with cat5e (again, this was a while ago, should have done cat6, but it was 3 times the price for cable at the time). I had a shit router and a shit switch and connections were crap and it drove me insane. It's what I get for using an old 10/100 router I had laying around hooked up to a cheap ass netgear 10/100/1000 20-port switch that I grabbed for its sub 100 price tag with out reading its reviews.

I since upgraded to this linksys e4200 (gigabit router, made a big dif) and a higher quality switch from d-link, and I haven't had problems since (this was a few years ago now).

my setup:

Posted Image

The computer is my xen server. A little dusty, time to clean the space again.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 11 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1