4 Replies - 1407 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Computer Science roles?

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

I've been on the job search and have been having trouble landing any offer. So I decided to step back, and really brain storm: What do I know? What do I want to know? What have I done? What am I doing? What projects should I tackle on my own? What companies do I want to work for?

For the most part I've been able to answer most of my own questions, but there is one that has been evading me.

What kind of roles should I aim for? Including my next role, and well into the future.

I'm pretty set that my next role should include a lot of coding (monkey coder). My problem is planning beyond that. I really only know of a few roles that I should include in my career path: monkey coder, lead developer, and product lead.

I'd really like some resources to help me answer this. Right now I'm focusing on (loosely) planning my career and I'm not sure where to look for resources (I have looked!).

P.S. I'm still very early in my career.

This post has been edited by code_m: 04 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science roles?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science roles?

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Sure.. there's levels of writing code.. project managers, business managers, leads, UI designers, CIO, database admins, release managers, etc..

Honestly just find a job board and see the plethora of titles available..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

Sounds to me like you are trying to plan your life too much. That's all well and good, but more times than not you won't be following it. People tend to fall into job positions through perhaps someone they know/a project they've been working on etc. Sometimes this role could be to do with something they never thought about doing before (or maybe event didn't know existed).

It's fine to sum of your prospects at a some position, yet don't think that this plan will magically become reality. Especially the usual plan - coder->lead developer->project manager - it would be nice if this was always the case. That's not to say this won't happen to you - it might well do - just don't spend hours planning out your life and every job in it.

You also need to think about why you haven't landed a job so far. It probably isn't because you don't know what your aiming to be, it's probably because you are missing some experience/knowledge that you need to sort out first.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 04 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostRyano121, on 04 November 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

You also need to think about why you haven't landed a job so far. It probably isn't because you don't know what your aiming to be, it's probably because you are missing some experience/knowledge that you need to sort out first.

This is exactly why I am brainstorming. Not to map out every single career move, but rather figure out what I'm missing to make myself a good candidate for the future. How can you plan for your future if you only have a vague idea of what your future is? I am putting vague goals so that I can figure out what I need to do now. For example I am considering going back to school now, but it's hard to weigh that option right now.

I know I am missing plenty of experience, but I know that. I want to be challenged to learn more. I touched on that in this post. This is me trying to find my own answer, but I still need help.

This post has been edited by code_m: 04 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

At any rate, I figured out what I am missing (for the purpose of brainstorming): teaching.

My best interview thus was for a teaching gig in a vo-tech school (high school level career school for those who don't know). I came within inches of an offer, and only did not receive the offer because of the winning candidate's related experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1