1 Replies - 1452 Views - Last Post: 09 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Teaching Programming

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

I'm considering teaching a local class on programming, as a local College (UMKC) has a community university program. Of course I'm submitting a proposal for a Ruby Introduction to Programming class. Anyone have advice as far as how to approach such a thing as this? Do note I have draft lessons all about, I'll just need to refine them.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Teaching Programming

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Teaching Programming

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Try to make the student experience as enjoyable as possible, you should also try to inspire them to pursue a career in the field. I think assigning them great exercises and projects is a good way to go. Drill exercises such as "draw an asterisk triangle on the screen" are useful for exercising some muscles, but after a while they get boring because you're never gonna do something like that in real programs. Creatively designed exercises and projects that are fun to work on and that show what one can do with computers are necessary to keep people excited about the class. A suggestion that comes to mind is having them play around with something like robocode, you can make a ruby implementation of the platform and have your students compete against each other. You can also get some ideas for nice projects from Princeton.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1