7 Replies - 308 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2013 - 04:45 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

PHP 4.4.9

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

I am writing some scripts for a client who's server is running the very old 4.4.9. I have scripts that were testing and running until I moved them to the clients server. 4.4.9 does not include support for pdo or mysqli and the scripts are failing to work correctly. I have informed my contact person but I do not know if they have access to update the version. I don't think the hosting company will change anything with me not having access to their account. Any thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP 4.4.9

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP 4.4.9

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

Some hosts still allow users to run PHP 4 for legacy apps, but usually use either config files or some sort of control panel (cPanel, Plesk, etc...) to allow you to choose between versions. If that is the case, then go into the control panel and change versions.

If that is not the case; if the host is simply using PHP 4, without any possibility of an upgrade to 5.3+, then dump that host. Immediately. There is no excuse for that whatsoever, and one can only imagine what else they're neglecting if they are this far behind on the PHP version. - There are plenty of cheap hosts out there. No need to keep using one that's stuck a decade in the past.

If your client insist on using PHP 4 for this project, my advice would be to resign. (But that's just me :))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Alright I have to say I was incredibly surprised. I contacted the host company and explained that I was doing contract work for one of their customers and needed a higher version than they defaulted. Amazingly the operator just went in and changed it for me. Now all is well with my scripts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Nice. Glad it worked out that well.

Out of curiosity, what PHP version did they switch you to?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

They offered from 5.2 - 5.4. I just had them default it to 5.2 and if I need it changed again I know what to do. I am just surprised that they changed anything at all considering I didn't have or want access to the control panel and they changed it for me. I guess because I knew the details of the account they figured I was authorized and amazed that it was still the 8+ year old version themselves.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

You should absolutely upgrade to as high a version as possible. 5.4 at the least.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

I agree. Unless you've got some extremely compelling reason to stay with 5.2, you should aim as high as possible. I'd say 5.3 is the minimum you should accept these days, since a lot of libraries are now built assuming namespace support is available, and that feature was introduced in 5.3. It's also the lowest branch still being supported by the PHP devs. You won't get any more updates (even security fixes) for 5.2.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

My contact responded to my email that he decided to upgrade me to 5.4 for good measure anyway. So, I am all good on that front and hope that this leads to more contracts in their organization :tup: . Thanks everybody, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to contrive some ass backwards compatibility measure to make it work!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1