3 Replies - 223 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2013 - 01:08 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Little Advice on trying to do a form.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hello, I was wondering if someone could advice me on this first of all I am trying to build a soccer team website for an association.
What am trying to figure out now what would be the best thing to do out of the two choices.
Whether is better to make a form basing myself on the PDF Form that they gave me(which has fillable spaces) they press submit, and sends the info to the database which can be vieable by the coach on the admin page one by one. Each registration is a kid.
OR
Make it so that php grabs the fillable spaces , stores them in a database after the user presses SUBMIT and let the coach on his admin profile(which I made already) see the PDF by extracting the fillable spaces from the database on a PDF form with that same format.

I attached the PDF form in a picture so you guys could see what am talking about, The highlighted parts are the important ones. Posted Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Little Advice on trying to do a form.

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Little Advice on trying to do a form.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Have you already designed and built your database to store this information? The decision about how to present information stored in the database is (almost) trivial in comparison.

But it will be up-to you how you present, or the user submits, the information. I wouldn't attempt to re-create the pdf as an html-page, although it could be useful as a rough guide. PHP can build PDFs, and populate areas within it from database-fields. There are a number of PHP libraries for this. Nevertheless, it requires more work than it would to build html-pages displaying the data you need to show.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 11 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

hey! haha thanks again for the help man so what you are saying is that it would be better to just do everything HTML so it can store the information and just display it for the admin to see? I was thinking that looking for a function that gets the fields for the pdf and stores them in the database..whhich was what I was hoping for but if its TOO much of a hassle then yeah why even bother.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Building an interactive website - with user/admin pages, form submissions and connecting to a back-end database - is a completely different proposition to any current manual process they may have.

As I say, I would only use their current pdfs, etc., as a guide to what information they need, or want, to store. If at some point they want to be able to output pdfs for printing then that will be possible. I would want to question whether they need this feature though; it might be that they want it just because it is what they are used to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1