8 Replies - 1005 Views - Last Post: 17 September 2007 - 07:50 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help with jetpack for hl2dm

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

How does coding with C++ work if i were to code a jetpack for hl2dm would i just type a long code in notepad (code has to be right) then save it in my server files then jetpack works. or is there more to it if there is please tell me.

MOD EDIT: modified title ~ jayman9

This post has been edited by jayman9: 16 September 2007 - 11:31 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help with jetpack for hl2dm

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help with jetpack for hl2dm

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

Please use smaller text next time.

This post has been edited by musya: 16 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

View PostNeed_Mod_Help, on 17 Sep, 2007 - 12:19 AM, said:

How does coding with C++ work if i were to code a jetpack for hl2dm would i just type a long code in notepad (code has to be right) then save it in my server files then jetpack works. or is there more to it if there is please tell me.

There is alot more to it than that - and if you've never programmed C++ before, then I suggest you start with a good book, and postpone your ambitions of modifying an SDK for a game, else pick a game to modify which doesn't require in-depth knowledge of programming. specific questions about the game would be better aimed at the development community boards for that game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

how does coding with C++ work?

Well, one generally writes a program in a text editor. This can be an notepad or a fancy IDE... point it that the source file is just a text file.

Then one runs the file(s) though a compiler. The compiler creates something called an object file. This file contains the machine code representation of the code, but does not contain any of the machine code for library calls or calls to function in other object files (such as ones from another language) etc.

Next the object files are run though a linker which combines the object files and libraries to create executable code appropriate for the operating system you are on.

Now if you have and IDE things are a little easier. Generally you write your program and press a button and the IDE will feed the program into a compiler and then from there into a linker. -- Many IDE's also include an integrated (haha) debugger which often comes in handy.

Now if you are interested in moding games, you will need to learn quite a lot. Yes you need to learn about programming, but you will also have to learn a great deal about reverse engineering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 16 Sep, 2007 - 06:13 PM, said:

how does coding with C++ work?

Well, one generally writes a program in a text editor. This can be an notepad or a fancy IDE... point it that the source file is just a text file.

Then one runs the file(s) though a compiler. The compiler creates something called an object file. This file contains the machine code representation of the code, but does not contain any of the machine code for library calls or calls to function in other object files (such as ones from another language) etc.

Next the object files are run though a linker which combines the object files and libraries to create executable code appropriate for the operating system you are on.

Now if you have and IDE things are a little easier. Generally you write your program and press a button and the IDE will feed the program into a compiler and then from there into a linker. -- Many IDE's also include an integrated (haha) debugger which often comes in handy.

Now if you are interested in moding games, you will need to learn quite a lot. Yes you need to learn about programming, but you will also have to learn a great deal about reverse engineering.

Ok.... my friend said even though he is in middle school can he learn to do c++ and program games/mods
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

Age is actually not really a factor here. It really has to do with how much you are willing to work at it. I started programming when I was a freshman in high school so it is not as though you need any special skills that you learn in high school to get started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 16 Sep, 2007 - 06:57 PM, said:

Age is actually not really a factor here. It really has to do with how much you are willing to work at it. I started programming when I was a freshman in high school so it is not as though you need any special skills that you learn in high school to get started.

Awesome, i just need someone to code me a couple commands for my hl2mp mod
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:02 AM

you know... I think Bench was right on about this: You really would do better to post on a forum dedicated to moding games. I don't think many people here would know much about that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:50 AM

C++ is one of the languages that you should learn in order to mod games. Most games are written in C++...just fyi. For me I use notpad for all web based apps/pages. For C++ is use visual studio 2005, and for java i use EE5. If you would like to learn moding I would agree with Bench. Read and try. Programming is like a bike, you cannot just read about it without doing it. But you must learn fundamentals if you want to userstand what you are writing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1