• +
  • Last »

Basic Client/Server Chat Application in C#

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

POPULAR

Welcome to the Basic Client/Server Chat Application in C#. In this tutorial I will provide the basics for a simple chat application in C# utilizing TCPClient, StreamReader, and the StreamWriter Classes in the .Net Framework.

In this application you have 3 components, the server (a class file), the communication component (a class file) and the client application. We will look at all 3 of these components individually, and how the can combine to create your basic chat application. The first component, the chat server, is where the messages are sent back and forth between the client and the server. Before writing any methods you need to add the following references to your class.

using System.IO;
using System.Net;
using System;
using System.Threading;
using Chat = System.Net;
using System.Collections;

I know some of you are going to look at the 5th reference and ask questions regarding Chat = System.Net. When adding references in C# you are allowed to add aliases to your references, thus allowing you to have multiple uses of the same Namespace at the same time, acting as 2 different objects.

NOTE: To use Aliases for the Namespace reference it has to be in conjunction with the Using Statement.

The first thing we do in our Server class is create 3 global variables, 2 are Hashtable variables, and the third is a TCPListener variable, which is used to listen for connections from TCP Clients.

System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener chatServer;
public static Hashtable nickName;
public static Hashtable nickNameByConnect;

These three variables will be used throughout our ChatServer.cs class file. Next, is the Public ChatServer() method, this is where we start the chat server and connect. We will then use our TCPListener object to check if there are any pending connection requests. If there are pending requests we then create a new connection, let the user know they're connected, then create our DoCommunication Object.

We'll get to the DoCommunication object later in this tutorial. Here is the code for this method

public ChatServer()
{
	//create our nickname and nickname by connection variables
	nickName = new Hashtable(100);
	nickNameByConnect = new Hashtable(100);
	//create our TCPListener object
	chatServer = new System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener(4296);
	//check to see if the server is running
	//while (true) do the commands
	while (true)
	{
		//start the chat server
		chatServer.Start();
		//check if there are any pending connection requests
		if (chatServer.Pending())
		{
			//if there are pending requests create a new connection
			Chat.Sockets.TcpClient chatConnection = chatServer.AcceptTcpClient();
			//display a message letting the user know they're connected
			Console.WriteLine("You are now connected");
			//create a new DoCommunicate Object
			DoCommunicate comm = new DoCommunicate(chatConnection);
		}
	}
}

Next, since this is a basic chat application, we need a method for sending our messages to all that are connected. Here we create a StreamWriter object, used to write our messages to the chat window, a TcpClient Array, to hold all the TcpClients for all connected users, then we copy the users nickname to the chat server window. After that we create a loop, looping through all the TcpClients, we check if the message eing sent is empty or that index of our TcpClient array is empty. From there we send our message to the chat window, and flush to make sure the buffer is empty.

In your Catch, of our Try...Catch block, is where we handle the Exception that is caused when a user leaves or disconnects. We display a message letting the users know that that person has disconnected, we remove that nickname from the list, then dispose of that users TcpClient instance. Here is the code for this method

public static void SendMsgToAll(string nick, string msg)
{
	//create a StreamWriter Object
	StreamWriter writer;
	ArrayList ToRemove = new ArrayList(0);
	//create a new TCPClient Array
	Chat.Sockets.TcpClient[] tcpClient = new Chat.Sockets.TcpClient[ChatServer.nickName.Count];
	//copy the users nickname to the CHatServer values
	ChatServer.nickName.Values.CopyTo(tcpClient, 0);
	//loop through and write any messages to the window
	for (int cnt = 0; cnt < tcpClient.Length; cnt++)
	{
				try
		{
			//check if the message is empty, of the particular
			//index of out array is null, if it is then continue
			if (msg.Trim() == "" || tcpClient[cnt] == null)
			continue;
			//Use the GetStream method to get the current memory
			//stream for this index of our TCPClient array
			writer = new StreamWriter(tcpClient[cnt].GetStream());
			//white our message to the window
			writer.WriteLine(nick + ": " + msg);
			//make sure all bytes are written
			writer.Flush();
			//dispose of the writer object until needed again
			writer = null;
		}
			//here we catch an exception that happens
			//when the user leaves the chatroow
		catch (Exception e44)
		{
			e44 = e44;
			string str = (string)ChatServer.nickNameByConnect[tcpClient[cnt]];
			//send the message that the user has left
			ChatServer.SendSysMsg("** " + str + " ** Has Left The Room.");
			//remove the nickname from the list
			ChatServer.nickName.Remove(str);
			//remove that index of the array, thus freeing it up
			//for another user
			ChatServer.nickNameByConnect.Remove(tcpClient[cnt]);
		}
	}
}

The next method we introduce is a way to send a system message, this method is almost identical to the SendMsgToAll method, except here we dont dispose of the TcpClient instance, since the message is being sent by the system, not a user.

public static void SendSystemMessage(string msg)
{
	//create our StreamWriter object
	StreamWriter writer;
	ArrayList ToRemove = new ArrayList(0);
	//create our TcpClient array
	Chat.Sockets.TcpClient[] tcpClient = new Chat.Sockets.TcpClient[ChatServer.nickName.Count];
	//copy the nickname value to the chat servers list
	ChatServer.nickName.Values.CopyTo(tcpClient, 0);
	//loop through and write any messages to the window
	for (int i = 0; i < tcpClient.Length; i++)
	{
		try
		{
			//check if the message is empty, of the particular
			//index of out array is null, if it is then continue
			if (msg.Trim() == "" || tcpClient[i] == null)
			continue;
			//Use the GetStream method to get the current memory
			//stream for this index of our TCPClient array
			writer = new StreamWriter(tcpClient[i].GetStream());
			//send our message
			writer.WriteLine(msg);
			//make sure the buffer is empty
			writer.Flush();
			//dispose of our writer
			writer = null;
		}
		catch (Exception e44)
		{
			e44 = e44;
			ChatServer.nickName.Remove(ChatServer.nickNameByConnect[tcpClient[i]]);
			ChatServer.nickNameByConnect.Remove(tcpClient[i]);
		}
	}
}

Believe it or not, thats the entirety of the ChatServer Class, simple isnt it. Working with Tcp objects can be fun, as you can do so much with them. In this simple application you could add the functionality to send files back and forth between users, and more. That may be the end of the ChatServer Class, but its not the end of creating our application.

The next component to look at is the DoCommunicate Class. This is the component that does the work for our server. For a chat application to work efficiently, and work as people expect a chat application to work, it needs to be a multi-threaded application. Meaning each user is running in their own thread, which allows for the messages to be sent and received in real time. Multi threading gives the illusion that multiple activities are happening at the same time.

The main purpose of multi threading is to improve performance. With each user in the chat application operating on their own thread, users don't have to wait for one user to be finished to send their message, they're able to send them simultaneously. C# has some powerful items in the System.Threading Namespace, which is used for, you guessed it, running multiple threads and synchronizing them.

For our DoCommunicate.cs class file we need the following references

using System.IO;
using System.Net;
using System;
using System.Threading;
using Chat = System.Net;
using System.Collections;
using PC;

Once again we add an alias to an instance of the System.Net Namespace reference, this prevents namespace collisions in our class. Like the ChatServer class, the first thing we do in our class is create some global variables, 4 of them:In this method is where the new Thread is created and started, allowing this user to react in real time in the application.

public DoCommunicate(System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient tcpClient)
{
	//create our TcpClient
	client = tcpClient;
	//create a new thread
	Thread chatThread = new Thread(new ThreadStart(startChat));
	//start the new thread
	chatThread.Start();
}

Notice when we create our new Thread we pass it a method called startChat. We'll get to this method momentarily, but first we need to do a couple things that startChat relies on. Once the thread is created and
started, we need to get the nickname the user wishes to use. For this we use the GetNick method we created. Here we simply ask the user what their nickname is, then return that value to the startChat method.

private string GetNick()
{
	//ask the user what nickname they want to use
	writer.WriteLine("What is your nickname? ");
	//ensure the buffer is empty
	writer.Flush();
	//return the value the user provided
	return reader.ReadLine();
}

Now lets look at the aforementioned startChat method. Here we create our StreamReader and StreamWriter objects and set the global string variable nickName to the value returned from the GetNick method. Next thing we do is check to ensure that the nickname provided by the user doesn't already exist, if it does we prompt them for a nickname until we find one thats not already in use.

Once they provide a valid nickname we add their nickname to the server, preventing another user from using it, then we send a system message letting the other users know there is a new user. From there we create a new Thread, which calls the runChat method. Lets first look at the startChat method

private void startChat()
{
	//create our StreamReader object to read the current stream
	reader = new System.IO.StreamReader(client.GetStream());
	//create our StreamWriter objec to write to the current stream
	writer = new System.IO.StreamWriter(client.GetStream());
	writer.WriteLine("Welcome to PCChat!");
	//retrieve the users nickname they provided
	nickName = GetNick();
	//check is the nickname is already in session
	//prompt the user until they provide a nickname not in use
	while (PC.ChatServer.nickName.Contains(nickName))
	{
		//since the nickname is in use we display that message,
		//then prompt them again for a nickname
		writer.WriteLine("ERROR - Nickname already exists! Please try a new one");
		nickName = GetNick();
	}
	//add their nickname to the chat server
	PC.ChatServer.nickName.Add(nickName, client);
	PC.ChatServer.nickNameByConnect.Add(client, nickName);
	//send a system message letting the other user
	//know that a new user has joined the chat
	PC.ChatServer.SendSystemMessage("** " + nickName + " ** Has joined the room");
	writer.WriteLine("Now Talking.....\r\n-------------------------------");
	writer.Flush();
	//create a new thread for this user
	Thread chatThread = new Thread(new ThreadStart(runChat));
	//start the thread
	chatThread.Start();
}

The last method in our DoCommunicate.cs Class is the runChat method called by the new thread in startChat. This is simply for reading the current stream and sending our messages to the chat window.

private void runChat()
	//use a try...catch to catch any exceptions
{
	try
	{
		//set out line variable to an empty string
		string line = "";
		while (true)
		{
			//read the curent line
			line = reader.ReadLine();
			//send our message
			PC.ChatServer.SendMsgToAll(nickName, line);
		}
	}
	catch (Exception e44) 
	{ 
		Console.WriteLine(e44); 
	}
}

That is the end of our DoCommunicate class. So far you have seen how to create a chat server, a class to handle the work of the chat application. You have learned about TcpClients, TcpListeners, StreamReaders, StreamWriters, and Threads. We discussed the purpose of a multi threaded application, and how to create one, and you have learned about adding an alias to your reference to prevent namespace collision in your application.

Now that we have our chat server completely defined, we need a client application to chat with. In this application I have a single form, ChatClient, but I did this a little differently. I didn't add any controls via drag and drop, I added them at runtime, personally I wouldn't recommend this for new programmers.

First thing i our client application is a Windows API call, the reference we need is the ExitProcess function. That looks like this

[DllImport("kernel32.dll")]
private static extern void ExitProcess(int a);

In void Main is where I create a new form, add my controls, set the properties of the window, WindowState, Text, and my TcpClient and call the Connect method of the System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient Class.

With the Connect method you provide the IP address, or host name, along with the port number to connect to, then it connects you to that information. Since this is a basic application, that information is hard coded into the application, with a real application you would have an area to give the user the option to specify which chat server they wish to connect to. Aside from the Main method we have three more methods:
  • ChatClient_Closing: This handles what needs to be done once the user closes the application. This all happens as the form is closing.
  • key_up: This is what sends our message to the chat window. Since I do it on the key up event, they will see what you're typing as you trype. For an actual application this functionality would be added to a Send button, or when the user hits Enter.
  • Run: This is the running of the chat application, reading the current stream and appending it to the current contents of the chat window, and placing the cursor at the end of the text already in the textbox you're typing your message into
How I'm appending the text to the current contents of the chat window is by using the AppendText Method of the TextBox Class.

First lets look at the code for the Closing Event of the form.

private static void ChatClient_Closing(object s, CancelEventArgs e)
{
	e.Cancel = false;
	//exit the application
	Application.Exit();
	//call the ExitProcess API
	ExitProcess(0);
}

When the form closes, it calls the Application.Exit Method, then the call to the ExitProcess Function.

Next we have the code for the Control.KeyUp Event, which is what sends our messages to the chat window. In this method, we create a StreamWriter for writing to the current stream. To do this we call the GetStream Method of the System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient class. GetStream retrieves the current NetworkStream, used for sending and receiving messages across a network.

private static void key_up(object s, KeyEventArgs e)
{
	//create our textbox value variable
	TextBox txtChat = (TextBox)s;
	//check to make sure the length of the text
	//in the TextBox is greater than 1 (meaning it has text in it)
	if (txtChat.Lines.Length > 1)
	{
		//create a StreamWriter based on the current NetworkStream
		StreamWriter writer = new StreamWriter(tcpClient.GetStream());
		//write our message
		writer.WriteLine(txtChat.Text);
		writer.Flush();
		//clear the textbox for our next message
		txtChat.Text = "";
		txtChat.Lines = null;
	}
}

Next we have the code for our run method. This creates a StreamReader Object, using GetStream to retrieve the current NetworkStream, this will be used for reading the messages in the stream. We then append the value in the current stream, line by line, to the chat window.

private static void run()
{
	//create our StreamReader Object, based on the current NetworkStream
	StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(tcpClient.GetStream());
	while (true)
	{
		//call DoEvents so other processes can process
		//simultaneously
		Application.DoEvents();
		//create a TextBox reference
		TextBox txtChat = (TextBox)client.Controls[0];
		//append the current value in the 
		//current NetworkStream to the chat window
		txtChat.AppendText(reader.ReadLine() + "\r\n");
		//place the cursor at the end of the
		//text in the textbox for typing our messages
		txtChat.Selectionstart = txtChat.Text.Length;
	}
}

That is the end of the tutorial Basic Client/Server Chat Application in C#. I am enclosing all three files with this tutorial. They are under the Public GNU License which means you can modify the code to suit your needs, but you need to provide a reference to the original creator of the code. Also, you are not allowed to remove the license header at the beginning of all the files in this solution.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and found it useful. I will next write a tutorial for an advanced client/server chat application, to show what can be done with the techniques we learned in this tutorial.

Thank you so much for reading :)

NOTE: You're going to want to take the ChatServer Class and possibly make an application out of that as well. I have it as a class file as I'm using a different implementation of the server.

Attached File  Basic_ClientServer_Chat.zip (132.21K)
Number of downloads: 72349

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 11
  • +

Replies To: Basic Client/Server Chat Application in C#

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:53 AM

I downloaded the zip, but I don't know how to run the application. I can't run the server 'coz i don't know why i can't run dll. and the client in exe won't run either :(
Is there something I'm missing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:08 AM

As I said in the end of the tutorial, the ChatServer.cs files needs to be made a part of its own application, so the server can run. I provided the functionality of the server in a class file. The client application isn't going to run because there isn't a chat server to connect to

NOTE: You're going to want to take the ChatServer Class and possibly make an application out of that as well. I have it as a class file as I'm using a different implementation of the server.

This post has been edited by PsychoCoder: 18 September 2007 - 08:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

this tutorial is great ,it actually answered some questions for me . with the next tutorial please digg deep into multithreading and the attributes of the tcpclient class.good job :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:30 AM

Thank you very much. This is, of course the basic version, there will be a more indepth one, when you can have private conversations with people in the room, hopefully (unless it makes the tutorial too long) how to send files back and forth, and so on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

Haha, Thanks for this Tutorial! I am fairly new with C#, and this answered a lot of my questions. Thanks again for another great post! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 18 Sep, 2007 - 07:08 AM, said:

As I said in the end of the tutorial, the ChatServer.cs files needs to be made a part of its own application, so the server can run. I provided the functionality of the server in a class file. The client application isn't going to run because there isn't a chat server to connect to

Hi, PsychoCoder.
I'm new to C# also. I wondering what do you mean by
"ChatServer.cs files needs to be made a part of its own application"

do you mean that I need to create a server program by using the ChatServer.cs class?

I'm using Microsoft Visual C# 2008 express edition. When I download the zip file and open the ChatServer.sln and start debug, this error come out.
"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:4296"

I understand that this is due to server not running, but how can make the server run? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question and hope to get your answer soon. Thanks :)

Regards,
cat_sin
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

Is it just me or is the zip file download corrupted?? I would like to see the source code for this but the download isn't working for me. Anyone else having this issue?

~Bugs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

View PostWhatsUpDoc, on 24 Mar, 2009 - 07:08 AM, said:

Is it just me or is the zip file download corrupted?? I would like to see the source code for this but the download isn't working for me. Anyone else having this issue?

~Bugs

I had a problem where there was a file inside the zip which couldn't be opened (it was just a file with no extension); however, opening that file with WinRar solved this. Try opening it with WinRar (as mentioned) or renaming it to a *.rar file extension.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ashley H.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

WinRar did it for me as well.

This post has been edited by neticous: 01 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

your atttachment is just a file, its not a solution or csproj or nothing, it has no extension. can you fix that so i can look at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

This was really helpful thanks a lot. I Was searching for a good chat/server tutorial in C# and well after i found this site i found everything i need. Thanks :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:22 AM

after running the code. i'm getting this exception...
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:4296

what could be the reason. can you make it clear to us .
we'll be thankful to you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:43 AM

thanks for this tutorial,
i make 2 projects the first one contain the ChatServer class wich is contained b the "PC" name space.The second project contain the ChatClient class .
in the second project i need to use first project so i wrote
using PC;

but i've this ERROR

"The type or namespace name 'PC' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) "

what i have to do!
thx
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

very helpful tutorial!
as there is no target machine connected to our machine..that's why we are getting that error as posted by me.ankit22...
could u plz tell us how can we create a network with a target machine so that we can actually try this tutorial?..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »