1 Replies - 6303 Views - Last Post: 17 September 2007 - 05:05 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

communication through rs232

Post icon  Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:30 AM

Hello all i am a beginner in this feild i want to communicate to a hardware thru RS232 interface can someone help me in this regard
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: communication through rs232

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: communication through rs232

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:05 AM

vp.scholar,

Now thats a task. I created a sample project in Visual Studio 2003 a while back which implements RS232. Believe it or not it was almost easier to do RS232 Communication in the old VB6 days as VB6 offered the MsComm32.ocx, which of course, isnt available in VB.Net. Now when I wrote my solution I had two options:
  • Use the VB6 MsComm32.ocx file, but that meant I had to manually register it on each machine I was deploying on, because dong this I lost .Nets XCopy Installation Mode.
  • Find a way using native VB.Net, along with Windows API to communicate with hardware via RS232
I chose option #2 for portability sake. For you to do this, you're going to need to research Windows API Calls/Functions, opening a port, writing to a port, reading from a port, checking if a port is available.

This is going to be quite some work for you, and if you're a beginner programmer, this is probably more than you want to cut your teeth on.

This post has been edited by PsychoCoder: 17 September 2007 - 05:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1