I am a NEWB. Trying to self-teach programing and understand what publishing an app entails.
I want to improve my limited programming knowledge.
I rate it a 3.5 out of 10. With 10 being a jedi master.
Experience using Visual Studio Express 2012, NetBeans, MySQl Workbench, C#, PHP, HTLM, CSS.
I want to build a Windows desktop application for my mom who can barely send an email. I would like to use C#/.NET, but I will use another language/platform if it's better suited.
Reasons for writing the application:
1) Increase my programing skills-- so I don't care if there is already a solution available.
2) Enable her to easily input and organize her 3,000+ digital photos (and scanned in paper ones.)
3) Enable her to easily search and display the images on screen.
4) If she later wants to do this...enable her to select/deselect certain images and post them on her personal website so others can search, select and display these images.
The main questions I have are:
(Maybe I should have more, but I am too ignorant to know.)
1) Should I embed a database? If so, which one should I choose as it relates to:
b. my mom's install effort/requirements
c. licensing (probably not an issue for this, but for near future reference on other projects)
i. if I charge for the desktop app?
ii. if desktop app is free and I only charge for the website?
iii. if desktop and website are free and I generate ad revenue from the web site?
2) Regarding Reason 4) I bet just making the whole app web based is a better solution, but that is not going to happen- my mom only wants the images she chooses to be “outside” of what she considers her personal space.
b. If 4) is enabled, what the best way to reduce programing pain and/or ugly user experience at both the desktop and web?
Thank you for the time you spent reading and hopefully responding. All advice is very much appreciated.