• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 3179 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Gaming headsets: What's on your ears?

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Well, I believe that the thread title is pretty easy to follow, but I'll go ahead and ask it here anyways:

What gaming headsets do those of you who use them own (brand and product name)? How would you rate them?

The reason? I am currently looking into getting a gaming headset as I would like to start using teamspeak while gaming and see if I can't get some more coordinated strategy going (plus, I have found that using headphones while playing increases the range of sound I actually hear, which is really nice with all games I have tried so far).

What have I looked at?
I have looked at some SkullCandy headset that they had at BestBuy, and all of the TurtleBeach models that they had on display. Of those, the TurtleBeach Z510 (wireless PC/ 360 headset) and the TurtleBeach Z Sevens were the best sounding (* the Z Sevens had the best sound, but they clamped on a little tough for my taste). I looked at the AstroGaming A50s on their website, but was a little disappointed in the battery life to charge time ratio (8-10 hours / 5 hours). I also tried the Astro A30s out over the weekend (a friend of mine had a set that they were willing to part with for a few days). The sound quality was alright, as long as you didn't turn the volume up, at which point there was an audible buzz introduced (which I am not seeing with another headset I have, so I don't think it is my headphones port's fault).

Along the vein of TurtleBeach, does anyone own the Z or XP Sevens? I would really like a pair of them based on what I heard in-store, but reviews I have seen all over the place say that they have fragile construction and the left-headphone (and mic) have a tendency to die. Have you experienced this? Also, does it eventually break in so as to not feel like a vice on my head? If so, how long does that take? (Yes, I did ask this on their forums, but so far it has been 2 days and the only replies I have received were from spam bots).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Gaming headsets: What's on your ears?

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Re: Gaming headsets: What's on your ears?

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

I can't see if you specified a console or PC (or even whether it matters) but here's what I use.

Razer Kraken 7.1

It's certainly something to look at, and cheaper then a lot of headsets out there. Admittedly it is wired, but I've never really had an issue with that. Nice and comfy as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

i use a steel series head set for my pc. ive had it for three years and it still works great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

Ah, whoops, I should have said what I am looking for compatibility-wise on the OP. Ideally I'd like it to work with PC, the 360 and Xbox One (which is the reason I am holding off until at least tomorrow (and since I don't know which one I want yet, it will be longer than that) to get one).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:53 AM

I use nothing fancy for my headset. I don't even think it is branded, at least, not by any major company known for making such things. It cost me something like 5, has a built in mic, and has lasted me about 2 years now, and is still going strong.

Oh, and because there are no drivers or anything for it, it simply plugs into standard speaker and microphone jacks. So, as long as you console/PC has 2 normal jacks, you can use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

i use buds-- jvc brand
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hm, I am seriously considering purchasing a Turtle Beach z300 (their new PC/mobile wireless headset with 7.1 surround sound) and then getting a RF transmitter type C for the ZP400 (Xbox 360/ Xbox One wireless headset) and attempting to pair the two... Or maybe get an XP510, and a USB transmitter for the PC and see if I can pair them... (the first option actually turns out costing $10 less than purchasing the XP510s alone...).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

I have an Astro A50 and except for being a bit on the expensive side, they are really nice. Wish it came with a longer charging cable though, like my logitech headset did. I just ordered 2 15 foot USB cables from monocable so I don't have to stop gaming and talking in TeamSpeak when I need to recharge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostGorian, on 03 December 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

I have an Astro A50 and except for being a bit on the expensive side, they are really nice. Wish it came with a longer charging cable though, like my logitech headset did. I just ordered 2 15 foot USB cables from monocable so I don't have to stop gaming and talking in TeamSpeak when I need to recharge.

Looks rather nice actually. What's it like to wear for extend periods?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:43 AM

haven't had many issues. Sometimes I wish I could make it a bit tighter, so it doesn't slide so much, but that's more my head than the headset :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Rubber band is the answer.

Similar to

Spoiler

(Couldn't find an image of a headset-rubber band combination :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

ha! Crude, but not a bad idea :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Logitech H110 headset from Chinamart (aka walmart). for $14.88 CAD + taxes.

I don't use it for gaming, I use it for skype, quality is decent imo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

Sorry about the bump (wow, it has been a while since this lost traction), but I figured I'd update with what I eventually wound up purchasing, and my findings along the way.

What I tried:
Astro Gaming A30 - My major problem with these was the on-ear design. They worked pretty well, and were comfortable, but only for shorter periods of time. For extended use they quickly got to the point where I felt they were squishing my ears, which wasn't comfortable. Their sound drivers had a bit of quality of life improvements that I would have liked to see as well; primarily that they ha d a noticeable hiss when playing at higher volumes. Now, I understand that most headsets have this problem when turned up all the way, but these weren't there and shouldn't have been having the problem.

TurtleBeach zSeven - These had by far the best sound output, but also the most uncomfortable experience. They felt very much like a vice on my head when wearing and weren't comfortable for any length of time.

TurtleBeach z300 - These had good quality sound, were comfortable, and not too heavy for long gaming periods. The problem I found with them was 2 things. First, they had a relatively short range. For being a dual-band 5GHz wireless network driving the signal to the headset I expected to be able to walk basically my entire house, but the signal cut short at about 30 feet. Second, something or other was interfering with the signal from time to time causing pops and hisses which weren't appreciated. One other minor snag was that after sleeping my machine and waking it up, the USB transmitter wouldn't always start up again which would require either unplugging it and subsequently plugging it back in for the computer and it to start talking again, or rebooting the computer.

TurtleBeach x12 - These were a really comfortable headset that I could wear for hours at a time without problem. They also had adequate sound driving capabilities (though the controls are relatively simplistic -- base volume, mic on/off, "chat" volume (for use when running a secondary cable to the Xbox 360 controller), and base level (to change the amount of base the speakers drive)). However, due to the control simplicity, they are basically a plug-n-play device which is nice in comparison to the z300 and zSevens. This headset was what I finally wound up choosing and I actually purchased a second copy of it to take the place of the crappy work headset they gave me (though that appears to have cost them $80...).

I'd definitely recommend getting a pair of the x12s if you are looking to get started with headset gaming. If you are already there and looking for a better quality headset, I am not sure what to tell you. I have heard good things about the Astro Gaming A50s as far as wireless headsets go, but I haven't had the chance to actually use them so I can't say if they are actually any good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

You don't want the ones I have. They're good, because 7.1 surround sound, but a pain in the ass to configure and the drivers suck, and I don't even know what it's called any more. Really generic set, but it did the job for a long time. I think I'm going to get a new one, so this thread will be good for me to make that decision, too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +