Gaming headsets: What's on your ears?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 3164 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Gaming headsets: What's on your ears?

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reviews. I have been looking at the x12's pretty hard as a general headset for music during heavy coding sessions, since I don't game. I am torn between those and a pair of Bose noise canceling. The Mic is an added benefit when I use Skype.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

Yes, the mic is quite a nice addition. I use it on at least a weekly basis (I use a softphone at work).

One thing I will warn about with the x12s, they need a separate min input and headphone output port, or a converter for the headset port (all in one). They also need a USB port for power - 3 plugs in total.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Other than the usb it's what I am hoping for. My current headset I can use with my phone, unfortunately my speaker and Mic inputs don't like a single plug for both on the computer jacks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Time to drudge up an old thread again (has it really nearly been 4 years since this was active?) and update with my current headset and stuff.

Since last time, I have moved on from the TurtleBeach x12 headset to a TurtleBeach PX24 which has an in-line (removable) AMP/DAC with it. Overall this works fairly nicely as you can switch a number of settings directly from the inline AMP/DAC (they technically call it a superamp) ranging from bass boost, to talk-back (hearing yourself speak), to virtual surround sound (channel crossover), and of course volume control. It also provides a mute and "superhuman hearing" button (which basically boosts various audio bands to help you hear footsteps and the like in games). The other nice thing about the superamp is that it goes complete passthrough when you turn it off. It also has an integrated battery that can provide up to 18 hours of life on a single charge (recharging via USB in a few hours, though you will have a static buzz while it is charging, so there is some annoying pollution there).

The headset itself is pretty nice overall. It works nicely, though there are times where highs and lows can be fatiguing on my ears (this may just be my ears). I use it for basically everything at home currently, and will say that the headset is only as good as your source. So dealing with onboard audio will be less exciting than dealing with a soundcard. Though, at this point I basically count a soundcard as a requirement for all audio.

I have also recently gotten interested in higher-fidelity audio, so I have a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX headphones coming in a couple of months that I am looking forward to getting them in and having a chance to fall in love with them. I will likely be giving a review of them (for all that is worth considering my vast knowledge of audio and all that :) ). They are supposed to be very good headphones and nearly identical to the original HD650's that they are based off of. I have been keeping an eye on the Massdrop x Focal: Elex as well, and would be interested in eventually trying them out to see how they sound to me (a lot of people are calling them the big brother of the HD6XX, which is intriguing, and they are supposed to be a very good upgrade path), they also just so happen to be outside of my current price range by a pretty significant margin, so that is something that will be waiting for the future... possibly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Turtle Beach Ear Force 450RX
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +