2 Replies - 1248 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Free lancing/Determining price

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hey guys. I've been approached to make a web based game for educational purposes. The technical side of it is fine, but I don't know what I should do when it comes to compensation. The client is asking me what I'm looking for, but I haven't done free lance work before, so I don't really know how to gauge what a project is worth. For those with experience/insight how do you personally do it?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Free lancing/Determining price

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Free lancing/Determining price

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

I typically go:
- how long will this - reasonably - take me..
- how much is my time per hour worth if I wasn't doing that..
- top that off a few more bones and a few more hours
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Free lancing/Determining price

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

The formula you use is, how long do you estimate it will take thinking really hard and considering all the what-ifs. Then multiply that number by 3, there's your actual guesstimate. Now think about how much you want to make per hour. Keep in a mind a teller in McDonalds earns about $7.50 an hour; you are developing software, something many many people cannot do. Charge accodingly.

Edit: One last thing from personal experience, the clients who haggle a lot over price are generally the clients you do not want to work with. They are nothing but trouble and will try to squeeze every ounce of work for free. Don't be afraid to reject clients if something feels off, great clients come across as great - it's a win-win for both of you, it should feel that way.

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 01 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1