• +
  • Last »

68 Replies - 3334 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

#1 belgarion262  Icon User is online

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Smart Phones

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

So what Smartphones do you guys have and/or what are you planning to upgrade to?

I've currently got the Iphone 4S, which I foolishly bought when it first came out (meaning big price-tag) and partly bought because quite a few of my friends had apple products at the time, and I (like most teenagers) wanted to fit in. Don't get me wrong, I like the phone still but the battery life has degraded significantly now and compared to other phones out there...

I don't even use my phone for much beyond reading, listening to music, browsing the internet and the usual phone tasks, so it's mostly battery life rather then other specs.

Any thoughts, either on what I should "upgrade" to, or even just on phones in general? (specifically this next-gen , rather then the good ol' Nokia bricks of yesteryear)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Smart Phones

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Smart Phones

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:54 AM

I have a Droid - Motorola RAZR M. Absolutely love it.

My kids want freaking iPhones for Christmas. I hate the idea of surrendering to the Apple machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 belgarion262  Icon User is online

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

Samsung Galaxy S3 here. Awesome series, the Galaxy series, if you ask me. - I even got an external charger and an extra battery. No risk of me running out of juice no matter what I'm doing! :)

And I'd much rather dig up my old Nokia 5110 rather than use anything running on iOS. This whole Apple elitism thing is so freaking repellent to me there is no way I could ever stand using one of those devices.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 belgarion262  Icon User is online

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

I'm a bit of a hypocrite in regards to apple. I dislike using macs, but I like my Iphone 4s...

Extra batteries sound like a Godsend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

Recently upgraded from an old IPhone to a Nexus 5. Loving Android so far!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:53 AM

I use a flip phone for my cell phone, & I have an iPhone 4 (something?) that I use on Wifi with voip at my shop as a 2nd line.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

Galaxy Nexus
4.6" screen droid

let's just say on this phone, I ve had everything for 2 years already that the new iphone 5 just recently incorporated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 depricated  Icon User is online

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

So until 2011 I never had a cell phone. Then I bought a car in 2011, anda friend of mine made a compelling argument to get one. So I did.

I had looked at phones before and already knew which carrier would get my business - not because of their network but because of their attitude towards their customers. T-Mobile.

I got a free LG Optimus T with my contract that I've had since then. It's been a decent phone, but it's dying. The battery has been completely drained one too many times, left to overcharge one too many times. It's not in a good place. Its specs are behind the curve, most new Android apps expect the devices to have more than it does. I can barely run Audible on it any more.

So I don't want to hijack this thread but can I expand on it? I'd love to hear from people what phones they would buy right now if they had the choice. Or better yet, on Black Friday if you know of a deal. I plan to buy a new phone on the 29th and would love recommendations. I was thinking of a Samsung Galaxy S4. I want a BIG phone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

View Postdepricated, on 21 November 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

I want a BIG phone.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#11 depricated  Icon User is online

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

Yes if that was an option I would do it.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

I have a Nokia Lumia 920. I really like the phone, but the longer I've had it, the more the lack of apps has made me regret going this route. Most of it doesn't bother me, but there are some pretty big things that are missing that I notice being absent fairly often. I really like the ecosystem, it's really supportive for developers because we're those *other* guys, and Nokia is doing something really cool with dvlup.com, but I really don't know if I'll stick around after my next upgrade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

I rocked a Motorola Droid-X (first smartphone) for 3 long years, but after too many nights left on the charger, heavy usage, and drops off the sink (not at the bar, no, could party all night, but once in the safety of my own home? Splat!), it really started wear out. Had these 4 HUGE black dots on the screen where pixels had degraded and gone off to I.T. heaven. Worst part was that running just a few apps would sometimes cause it's processes to go haywire and it would restart itself randomly.

I looked hard at the Motorola Razr MAXX HD when it first came out, but a $300 price tag was a bit more than I was willing to pay, 36hr Battery Life or no 36hr Battery Life. So I waited... and waited... and waited...

Then Google bought up Motorola and there wasn't really anything NEW released for a few months, so during my waiting I began to look beyond just Motorola. I was still interested in the MAXX HD, but at the time (early summer?) the hardware was already on the downhill compared to fresh market offerings. I got to play with a few friends Galaxy S III's and was impressed for the most part. When I read up on the Galaxy S4, it looked pretty solid.

Sad to say, though I don't use it much (haven't figured it out to well or cared to), a big point that got me to commit away from Motorola was when I found out the S4 could run Dual-Screen Apps. I had assumed only the Note II had this functionality, but then (after months, this was probably the 5th sales person) the Verizon employee explained to me that the S4 had this capability, and the S III after an upcoming update would also have it, though a little strained.

Have had my S4 with Verizon for a few months now and love it ^^ Still rocking my Motorola XOOM Tablet though ;) As for Apple, I understand the whole "different strokes for different idiots", but I do enjoy my iPod. Have had 3 now (upgrades, not breaks/malfunction) and have always been impressed with iPod battery life.

I have heard though the new Apple iPhones are really failing to live up to that long-lasting battery life Apple used to be known for.

What I am really excited for with SmartPhones is going Modular with Dave Hakkens and Phonebloks

Original Concept:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's their original pitch video:

And this is their newest video after teaming up with Motorola who has started their own project called Project Ara:

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Motorola will be reaching out to developers to start creating Ara modules, and expects the developer's kit to be released in alpha this winter; interested parties can sign up to be an "Ara Scout" now.

"WE WANT TO DO FOR HARDWARE WHAT THE ANDROID PLATFORM HAS DONE FOR SOFTWARE."

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 depricated  Icon User is online

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

yea the phonebloks thing si cool as hell, I want THAT

As for Apple...meh, I'm not a special snowflake, I don't need Stevie J to tell me that I am. I'm just another brick in the wall and I'm fine with that.

imo iPhones are an immaturity tax.

iPods aren't actually - of all the apple products, those are the one thing I have absolutely no qualms with. Those are fine. Why? Because it does what it says. I think the marketing of them is sleazy but an iPod is not a tablet pretending it's better than all the other tablets, it's not a phone pretending it's better than all the other phones, it's just an MP3 player with some actually fairly well designed library management software on it. I paid $100 for a 30gb iPod a few years ago and used the hell out of it. It eventually died, something happened to the port where the cable plugs in, no idea what but I can't plug in any more. Either way now I just use my phone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sanyo Katana Eclipse

Spoiler

May upgrade to a Kyocera DuraCore or Kyocera KONA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »