Smart Phones

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

107 Replies - 9051 Views - Last Post: 30 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Smart Phones

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

i have a galaxy nexus. my contract expires in january and i am thinking of switching to a nexus 5 or a moto x an a pre-paid t-mobile plan.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I've always found phone contracts confusing, mostly since when I was phoned up a few weeks ago when my contract had ended, and asked whether I'd like to upgrade, I couldn't understand the delightful young Indian chap on the other end of the line. I'm fairly sure I said no, so I guess they'll have kept me on my old contract, but renewed? Probably should be more concerned about that...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

I am currently rocking an iPhone 3S (yes, three). Apple hasn't given me any reason to upgrade... not even the software... I am still running iOS 5 on it, and guess what? It works as I expect, without draining the battery for no reason. Amazing...

I absolutely love the phonebloks idea, and would love it even more if it was also open-OS instead of just Android (which it certainly appears to be at the moment thanks to Motorola).

Due to not being sure I want to give Google more of my information, I am considering going with a Nokia for my next phone. The 1020 looks pretty sweet, and the 928 is pretty sleek too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

POPULAR

i love the concept of "hey, i don't want to give my information to this gigantic corporation with lots of privacy issues let me go to this other gigantic corporation with lots of privacy issues"
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostBetaWar, on 21 November 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

I am currently rocking an iPhone 3S (yes, three). Apple hasn't given me any reason to upgrade... not even the software... I am still running iOS 5 on it, and guess what? It works as I expect, without draining the battery for no reason. Amazing...

I absolutely love the phonebloks idea, and would love it even more if it was also open-OS instead of just Android (which it certainly appears to be at the moment thanks to Motorola).

Due to not being sure I want to give Google more of my information, I am considering going with a Nokia for my next phone. The 1020 looks pretty sweet, and the 928 is pretty sleek too.

I must not understand what you mean by "Open-OS". Do you mean the ability to install any OS you want on it? Technically you can, you just have to know how. I'm not sure the mobile Windows platform has support for the hardware used in the phones, and I'm sure iOS would shit itself being on anything but an apple product.

Since Android is Free, I fail to see why using it is a deal breaker. Would you rather not have full access to your OS? I mean, you have iOS now, so I'm unclear on what your problem there is.

Your lines in the sand are hyperbola.

View Postsupersloth, on 21 November 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

i love the concept of "hey, i don't want to give my information to this gigantic corporation with lots of privacy issues let me go to this other gigantic corporation with lots of privacy issues"

At least my choice is based on customer service :D no one beats T-Mobile in that arena
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yes, by open-OS, I am referring to the ability to change out the OS (the easier the better) with any other mobile OS that supports the hardware. If I want to try out Firefox OS, or Ubuntu Mobile, I want to be able to (preferably by purchasing a small memory chip that I can swap out with my current chip so I can just swap the chips again to get back to where I was).

As far as giving up some of the power the mobile OS provides; I don't really care. As it stands I have disabled location services, disabled the notification center, disabled all push notifications, not updated for the past 2 major releases, etc. I use my phone to browse the web, make calls, and text. Everything else is just gloss.

So, would I be sad that I don't have google scanning all emails on my phone? Nope. Would I be sad that I don't get the "google notecard things"? Nope.

The thing to remember is that all cell companies (both phones and providers) are really just juggling evils of the time. Google already provides me with my email service. They scan everything I send, on multiple accounts. They already provide me with my VOIP service for keeping in contact with friends out of state. I don't want them anywhere near my phone. Not to mention my web browser.

Apple already provides me with my music and phone (currently). What else are they good for?

Microsoft provides me with my desktop, game console, and search engine. If they were to also have my phone, that wouldn't be a terrible loss.

The idea I like to try and live by is spreading the information out as evenly as possible. No point in giving google control over my email, calendar, phone, texts, VOIP, social network, music, and web searches. Just like there is no point in giving all of that to microsoft or apple. I like to spread my information out among different companies.

There is no winning this game, just making it more difficult for the other players, and I am willing to go through the steps to make it a little more difficult.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

i don't really think you are doing anything except giving three gigantic evil corporations all the same info but maybe that's just me.

(to be totally fair, i do the exact same thing, i just don't justify it that way)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostBetaWar, on 21 November 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

snip

Don't forget to put a bandaid over the camera so the evil hackers can't take your gps and thumbprints
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

I gots me a Samsung Galaxy 4S. Replaced a perfectly serviceable HTC I had but I have to admit that I like the Samsung. Superior battery life, nice fair size screen, seems to get better reception (more bars) than the old phone. The camera is way better than the old one and the hotspot actually seems to make use of a 4G signal if one is available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Droid RAZR
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

just traded my razr for the new galaxy note. im so used to turning everything off i actually didnt have to charge the phone for 4 days.
i was shocked but its a really nice phablet heh
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

Fairly sure I'm going to get myself a Galaxy s3, but I'm unsure whether to not just get get the s4. Looking at both, it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade.

Just need to find the best deal I guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

Xperia Miro..love it

i don't know how to add pic , if some buddy tell me how to do it...

This post has been edited by x-logan: 22 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

Maybe this is just me, but I think they devote far to much space on the front side of that model for the "XPERIA" text. There is no need for it there; the user of the phone will already know what phone it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »