• +
  • Last »

107 Replies - 9052 Views - Last Post: 30 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Re: Smart Phones

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostAtli, on 22 November 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Maybe this is just me, but I think they devote far to much space on the front side of that model for the "XPERIA" text. There is no need for it there; the user of the phone will already know what phone it is.

I figure that it would just be blank other wise.

They needed the space for the guts of the phone, but not the screen? Did that make sense?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

View Posttorind_2000, on 21 November 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

just traded my razr for the new galaxy note. im so used to turning everything off i actually didnt have to charge the phone for 4 days.
i was shocked but its a really nice phablet heh

I've considered buying one of these instead of the S4. Cool for battery life but how does it handle? I'm concerned about things like respnsiveness, freezing up, crashing, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

View Postbelgarion262, on 22 November 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

View PostAtli, on 22 November 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Maybe this is just me, but I think they devote far to much space on the front side of that model for the "XPERIA" text. There is no need for it there; the user of the phone will already know what phone it is.

I figure that it would just be blank other wise.

They needed the space for the guts of the phone, but not the screen? Did that make sense?

Not really, no. Perhaps they do need more space then the screen size allows, but they really should be able to design it so there isn't need for unnecessary dead spaces.

But hey, what the hell do I know. I'm a software guy. Couldn't so much as sketch a decent looking device to save my life :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

For those who are interested in Ara:
http://www.theregist...lar_smartphone/

3D Systems will build a "continuous high-speed 3D printing production platform and fulfillment system" for Motorola and develop new types of material for printing and conductive inks for Ara. If it succeeds in impressing Motorola, the company will have the exclusive rights to build modules for the composite smartphone.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 21 November 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I want a Lego phone too!!! :omg:

My first smartphone was bought for me in January this year for my birthday. It's a Galaxy S3, and I think it's great. Before this, I had something more resembling a brick than a phone. I had to wear a belt because if I put it in my jeans pocket, there was a fair chance it would pull my pants down. It also had a screen about 1/8 the size of my S3.

I'm still looking for decent games to play on my S3, but I do like having a little datapad I can use to look stuff up while playing games on my PC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 22 November 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

For those who are interested in Ara:
http://www.theregist...lar_smartphone/

3D Systems will build a "continuous high-speed 3D printing production platform and fulfillment system" for Motorola and develop new types of material for printing and conductive inks for Ara. If it succeeds in impressing Motorola, the company will have the exclusive rights to build modules for the composite smartphone.

Definitely exciting to think about ^^ They're also through dScout allowing people to become further involved as this phase develops by becoming an Ara Scout.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

So I went from pre-pay with T-Mobile to Contract and picked up a Galaxy Note 3. Gotta say, I'm already loving the hell out of it.

I'm thinking of sending my old Optimus T to orbit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

Phonebloks just irks me. I can't believe people are believing it. Like seriously, a 4-pin CPU? A phone where everything is just magically hooked up to the right spot as long as it fits on the board? We haven't gotten there with desktop computers even. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying the idea that this is something easily feasible and that phone companies are holding out to make more money is stupid.

The company itself just skirts around it. They're not developing the phone. They're developing a platform in which they shout "we want this technology!". Giving them money does nothing more than give them a larger microphone to shout into. To be honest I feel like it's one of those threads in Post-A-Job with the "million dollar idea" and "I don't have any money, but you'll get a cut of the profits".

Either way I have an S3. Recently the power button became super sensitive after a year's use to the point where I couldn't operate it. Got my replacement just recently and going strong since. Honestly can't blame them. Tons of small parts, something's bound to give.

The real magic is in the wireless imo. I'm constantly baffled at how I'm connected to the internet 24/7. While I was waiting for my replacement phone I realized how much I depend on my phone. Not for just socialization, but for information. I would question something and the thought would cross my mind to Google it, which would then be instantly shot down due to lack of phone. I can imagine living without a phone in the future, but it would definitely take some getting used to.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#39 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

Just got my mom the Galaxy s4 last night. Pretty cool I guess. I didn't really get to play with it too mmuch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

I was in almost the same situation as you. 2 years ago, I bought an iPhone 4 since it was one of the most popular phones around and it's what friends had. iOS was fine for a few weeks but I then found myself wanting more control over my phone and resorted to jailbreaking. 1 year after the purchase of the iPhone, I simply grew tired of it. Bought a Nexus 4 and I don't regret the purchase at all. It's what I want a phone to be and the fact that I can tweak it out of the box now seems like something that should be a standard. The developer community for the Nexus 4 is large and as a result, there is an abundance of customizations to flash. 1 year later after purchasing the Nexus, I still want to keep it another year. Highly recommend the Android route.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

View Postprocrastinator, on 01 December 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

I was in almost the same situation as you. 2 years ago, I bought an iPhone 4 since it was one of the most popular phones around and it's what friends had. iOS was fine for a few weeks but I then found myself wanting more control over my phone and resorted to jailbreaking. 1 year after the purchase of the iPhone, I simply grew tired of it. Bought a Nexus 4 and I don't regret the purchase at all. It's what I want a phone to be and the fact that I can tweak it out of the box now seems like something that should be a standard. The developer community for the Nexus 4 is large and as a result, there is an abundance of customizations to flash. 1 year later after purchasing the Nexus, I still want to keep it another year. Highly recommend the Android route.

I've definitely been a fan of the Android since I got my Optimus several years ago. My biggest frustration with it is an inevitable one - hardware falling behind. It's simply generations behind now. It was running Gingerbread and I honestly couldn't be fuct to upgrade the OS - if it could even handle the upgrade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

HTC wildfire, let me tell you there is nothing wild about that thing, it's super slow has a single core CPU @ 528Mhz, 384 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM. Already came with some preinstaled apps that took 90% of phones memory. Now i constantly struggle with low memory notification, good thing is that it came with 4GB SD card. Can't stream HD videos, not even 720p, sometimes it takes very long time to load any descent page(like facebook or youtube). Is limited to android 2.2.1 so a lot of apps i want to install i can't because they are incompatible with this version. This is in my opinion the worst smartphone ever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostMichael26, on 04 December 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

This is in my opinion the worst smartphone ever.

Clearly you didn't own one of the pre-Android iPhones. You know, one of those that couldn't play music and check your email at the same time.

The new HTC phones are pretty good though. My dad has an HTC One X, and that thing is great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:00 AM

Nokia Lumia 620
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

Not much love for Apple in this thread.

I've upgraded to a new iPhone every year since about 2008. Currently have an iPhone 5s, and don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

I don't know why so many people were unhappy with iOS7. It had some great new features (and some flaws which have since been patched) but overall I think it's a great step forward for the iOS. All my iPhones have just worked and have a solid build quality.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »