How to program for Hardware / Operating System?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2216 Views - Last Post: 13 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to program for Hardware / Operating System?

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Some article that just came up that seemed related to what you are doing...

http://www.codeproje...eillance-camera

http://www.codeproje...erial-interface
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to program for Hardware / Operating System?

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

One of my books at university, Advanced Digital Logic, we built a micro-controller in VHDL. We initially just simulated it, but towards the end we were able to download it to a FPGA and hook it up to a breadboard.

We created basic NAND gates, and build all of the components up from there.. Memory, ALU, etc... We then wrote a basic machine language/set of op codes and used them to run the components we made.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of experience you are looking for to really understand how the hardware is working or not. Some of the earlier suggestions of doing some simple hardware hacking across a serial port and writing a driver for your device are on a similar level, but they are more for direct control of a single unit, not understanding the system.

I have been working on a much higher level then that (UI's, business logic in JAVA, learning to develop for Android), but I have been meaning to learn how to write a printer driver. My google foo is just not strong enough, and I haven't hopped on freenode/IRC to specifically look for help there, but that is another possible solution.

Not sure if any of my rambling helps you out, but information is out there. If you are having trouble finding it yourself, you may have to look into a few university courses. Even if you are not a student, send an email to some of the professors and see if they have anyone they can recommend (perhaps one of their grad students / TA's would be looking for a little side income and would help you get started... knowing where to look and what to look for make a HUGE difference!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +