3 Replies - 725 Views - Last Post: 24 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Selling and Updating Mobile Apps

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hi, I'm new to mobile developing so I have several questions.

I have an application which is available online and on several mobile devices. Atm I'm planning to support iOS, Android and Windows Phone. The Web and the Mobile App are in sync (two way), so they get synced when somthing changes.

Now I have the following questions:
1. Am I somehow bond to the app stores?
2. Can I sell my app on my homepage?
3. Can I sell some additional services on my app e.g.via SMS?
4. How to update my App? I just now it from my Anroid, and I don't really use a lot of apps, that it notifies me if there is a new version on the Market. I want to force the users to update, I want tohave the option to update it automatically without asking them but notifing them. I have to because of the syncing and everything. So what's the best approach on updating an app?
5. What do I need to know on publishing? How can I controll in which countries it gets published?

I think, this was everything. Hope you can answer my questions, thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Selling and Updating Mobile Apps

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Selling and Updating Mobile Apps

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Do not force the updates. Usets have the right to choose what they have on their devices. It is a breach of trust to just change the bits on their devices. It is like your landlord or bank going to your home and repainting your rooms at their whim.

Even if you don't care if it is a breach, are you going to force an update while the user is on a slow expensive network and make the user pay for your data? Or are you going to wait to let them update when they get to fast almost free wifi?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'm not sure about the forcing but sometimes I probably have to since the app is conencted to an web app which I for sure will always update.

Of course I wouldn't force it directly so he might get some high bill. Rather limit specific features the use until he updates.

I do have a lot of traffic probably because of the syncing so I really have to make sure he doesn't get a high bill.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

View Postxotix, on 24 November 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

I'm not sure about the forcing but sometimes I probably have to since the app is conencted to an web app which I for sure will always update.

So what if you are connected to a webapp. If you make your webapp's API's versioned then you can always have older clients continue to talk to your webapp because the client and the webapp negotiate which version of the API they will use to communicate with each other. If you've use Mercurial, GIT, Subversion, or Perforce, the individual components negotiate with to each other to figure out which protocol to use between them so that you can have a newer version of Subversion client still able to talk to an older Subversion server and vice versa. If you are on cable for your Internet connection, the central office can be at one version while your cable modem is at another version.

Of course, there is a point of diminishing returns for supporting older versions. This is why some updates end up becoming mandatory, but often there is a big window to give the lagging version users a chance to catch up.

View Postxotix, on 24 November 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

1. Am I somehow bond to the app stores?
2. Can I sell my app on my homepage?
3. Can I sell some additional services on my app e.g.via SMS?

You'll have to check with the terms of use or license agreements with each app store that you decide to use as your distribution method. As I understand things, Apple frowns upon #3 since it cuts them out of the profit loop, but a lot of the book sellers were fighting this. I don't know what the resolution was.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1