7 Replies - 977 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to deal with languages using symbols?

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

I'm creating an web and mobile app. Both apps need to support languages with rather odd symbols like chinese, russian.

How do these languages work and how can I deal with them? When I saw a Chinese using a PC, and I haven't seen this a lot, it looked like they are writing with the "normal" alphabet like I do atm and each word or sillible or whatever gets turned into a symbol.

So, I need to know how to handle it on a UI basis and on a DB/Coding basis.

Hope you have some good articles etc.

Thansk a lot :)/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to deal with languages using symbols?

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to deal with languages using symbols?

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

If you are working on Windows, there is not much extra you need to do. Just always compile for UNICODE, use the wide character APIs, choose fonts with complete glyph sets, and use database columns that support Unicode and you are done. Only extra work still be if you want to support right to left UI.

On other platforms, I don't know. One of our DIC regulars posted on their blog his disappointnent about the holes in Linux support for Unicode, but I was.just skimming the post.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

So e.g. utf-8?

I'm rather worried about the GUI. I won't translate my app to chinese but this doesn't matter. It's just about the input/output of the user based content.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

I18N translations, essentially what you do is define terms in a yaml file and have links to it throughout the application. En.yml defines english, and so forth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostLemur, on 24 November 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

I18N translations, essentially what you do is define terms in a yaml file and have links to it throughout the application. En.yml defines english, and so forth.

What? I don't want to translate anything as I wrote. Secondly, I know how to translate an application. This wasn't my question. Thanks anyway.

I just care about what I have to look after when someone is using my app with e.g. chinese user input.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

View Postxotix, on 24 November 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

So e.g. utf-8?

I'm rather worried about the GUI. I won't translate my app to chinese but this doesn't matter. It's just about the input/output of the user based content.

No. UTF-16. With UTF-8, you'll still need to deal with escape codes and such. Unless you have a very rare language, you don't have to deal with that issue with UTF-16, which is why Microsoft chose to make Windows NT and all its successors in UNICODE.

Here's the blog post I alluded earlier: http://www.dreaminco...&showentry=4556
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 24 November 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

View Postxotix, on 24 November 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

So e.g. utf-8?

No. UTF-16. With UTF-8, you'll still need to deal with escape codes and such. Unless you have a very rare language, you don't have to deal with that issue with UTF-16, which is why Microsoft chose to make Windows NT and all its successors in UNICODE.

Here's the blog post I alluded earlier: http://www.dreaminco...&showentry=4556

Thanks, I'll check that out and make some testings on it. I need to provide e.g. chinese Input if someone has choosen chinese and he is using a english mobile phone or whatever. How can I do that? On mobile/web application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

I don't know if there are web based IME's. If there are, incorporating those into your (web) front-end will be something you need to do. In general, though, people who have particular input needs figure out how to set things up for themselves on the client side.

Sent from my MT7001 using Tapatalk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1