Rolling back target .NET framework

• (3 Pages)
  • +

30 Replies - 1464 Views - Last Post: 27 November 2013 - 11:11 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Rolling back target .NET framework

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

Sigh. I spent all day formatting and setting up my server, and downloading various OS images from MSDN. Only to find out when I launched the VM software that the hardware doesn't support hardware assisted virtualization.

:censored:

I was unaware that this was even a thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

It maybe switched off in the BIOS mine was.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ugh nope. Intel Core 2 Duo e4300, no embedded virtualization technology.

Awesome.

Well, I guess at least now I know that this can be a problem. And I should check before spending 7 hours setting up a VM environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Seven hours? What exactly were you doing? At worst you should just install https://www.virtualbox.org/ run it, point to any given iso, and watch it go.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

The server was a mess. I had to clean it (physically) inside and out, then backup all the old crap, which took forever because it's a dinosaur. I then fought with the proprietary software on it that was blocking RDP for about an hour before I gave up and formatted it, which also took about an hour.

Then downloading .Net, and 4 different OS images from MSDN. On and on. Took awhile.

And you have to remember that I still have to google random crap like "How to get rid of logical drives" because noob LOL. For some reason the C partition had 40 GB allocated, and the "backup" drive had 115 GB, and then there was a "data" drive that had 90 GB, and not a single file in the partition.

So, I wanted to move most of that to my C: drive and leave about 20 GB for backup. And now I know how to do that :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well.. okay so it wasn't a waste of time then..

Regardless - when you need a quick VM spinning up virtualbox off your local machine can't be beat.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Yeah. I overthink things sometimes. I wanted to set up a complete testing unit, all pretty with a bow on top.

Back to square one I guess.

I was able to confirm that my software runs great on Win7 (not just my machine), I tested it on 2 other machines today.

I just used Windows XP Mode on my own unit to test, and the software crashes immediately. I still need to set up Vista and try it. Now I have to find out where the conflict is, with XP. I think it has something to do with .NET, it threw 2 errors: a sys32 and a .NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Of course, I will back up my original solution fully before changing the target.

I guess you need a backup in case of a hardware failure but proper use of source control will let you tinker with the most batshit crazy of ideas in total confidence that you can revert to something stable at a later date.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

+1 on the use of source control.

You only need to lose your source code twice before the value of source control becomes really apparent. The first time is when you aren't using source control. The second time is when you are using source control but not checking in often enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

I do use source control, but I admittedly don't use it to backup as much as I should. I push at the end of every day, and I also backup my entire solution to the file server at the same time.

I've had Vista installing on a VM on my local machine for almost 4 hours now, and it's still only at 25%. My machine is fairly old, with 3 GB of RAM and a single core Intel Pentium 4 processor.

I allocated 1 GB of RAM to the VM, and loaded the .iso on the virtual dvd drive. The Vista install started like I would expect it to, with selecting your language and whatnot.. is it possible I did something wrong?

This post has been edited by synlight: 27 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

That machine may be choking it.. Quit and try again.. it shouldn't take anything moee than a normal install.. so 15-20 minutes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Yeah that was the second attempt. I just killed it and downloaded VirtualBox (I was using Windows Virtual PC).

I just started the new VM on VirtualBox, hopefully it will have better luck.

If not, IDK what the boss expects me to do. I have to be able to test my software. I should have listened to you guys and went with VirtualBox to begin with, it's a lot easier to use.

I read a couple of blogs yesterday that said Windows Virtual PC was faster if you were going to be testing Windows environments only. Bah.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Remember - you are running a whole new OS, virtually, inside an existing OS. If your hardware blows, and is nine year old tech, then you are going to have a bad time. Tell the bossman to go hit up a best buy black friday sale and get you an off the shelf rig for a few hundred. That'll get you up to date and be able to run VMs left and right.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yeah, I'm about to that point. I'm ready to put my fist through this machine. It's been spinning for 10 minutes and isn't even done "expanding files" yet.

I'm going to take a stroll through NewEgg and copy some links to email him. This is ridiculous. And he told me to try it on my own machine at home over the weekend since I can't get it to work here.

Would you guys do that? It doesn't seem fair to me, but life isn't fair. Maybe I'm being a brat, but I want my weekend for myself unless I'm getting paid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Like I said - it should be a fairly quick process... so if 20 minutes or so is worth it then sure.. if not..then don't. I try and keep a work/home life division pretty clear. I mean it's not like he is asking you to put in four hours of over time.. if you can't spin up a VM on your home machine then that's it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +