2 Replies - 415 Views - Last Post: 30 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to high level assembler

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

I am someone who is really interested in advancing as a programmer and I know a few popular languages like C, C++, PHP, VB.NET, SQL and some others, but I am very much interested in learning HLA (high level assembly) I have downloaded a couple online books about it and an IDE as well to help me try to get into it. What I would really like to know is if anyone could give me some beginner tips on where to look and what to download or use to begin my quest to learn assembly language. I would like any tips at all and would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I want to be able to start with simple (tiny) programs and learn from them and work my way up to actually being able to understand the language and what it does. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to high level assembler

#2 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to high level assembler

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

I have never been a fan of HLA. If you are going to learn Assembly, learn Assembly using one of the more popular Assemblers: MASM, JWASM, FASM, NASM, or even GAS. HLA was created as a teaching tool for Universities, for folks that already know a High Level Language. HLA does not have as a wide user base as the popular Assemblers (I could be wrong). It uses its own syntax which is a mix between AT&T syntax and C. If you learn one of the mainstream Assemblers, you can take code from one and fairly easily use the code in another, the differences are a matter of minor syntaxes, unless you compare the macros from each.

Randall's books are a good start, they do teach well. As for code, you will have to search for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: New to high level assembler

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 27 November 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

I have never been a fan of HLA. If you are going to learn Assembly, learn Assembly using one of the more popular Assemblers: MASM, JWASM, FASM, NASM, or even GAS. HLA was created as a teaching tool for Universities, for folks that already know a High Level Language. HLA does not have as a wide user base as the popular Assemblers (I could be wrong). It uses its own syntax which is a mix between AT&T syntax and C. If you learn one of the mainstream Assemblers, you can take code from one and fairly easily use the code in another, the differences are a matter of minor syntaxes, unless you compare the macros from each.

Randall's books are a good start, they do teach well. As for code, you will have to search for it.

Thank you very much for that advice. Like I said, I don't know anything about assembly and I really am interested in learning it and I guess HLA (being less popular)might be a bad choice. I am reading the art of assembly by Randall and I thought it might go well trying to learn HLA with it, but I guess it would also apply to other versions as well (right?). One more question is this: would it be a good idea to try and use the WinASM IDE along with the book and MASM or would you recommend something else?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1