7 Replies - 939 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question on which route to go.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

I want to write a program for a church cemetery. I need it to track the interned, purchased and available lots. I would like a graphical interface for user. I can use Windows or Ubuntu Linux for OS. Would you please guide me towards what you think would be the best choice for OS and programming language you think would be the best choice?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question on which route to go.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question on which route to go.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

Not sure what you mean by OS. Do you need this program to run on both Windows and Linux? Or is one of the other fine?

What languages do you know already?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Language is immaterial usually. What OS is it going to be on or does it need to be cross platform? Java works in both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostRyano121, on 28 November 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Not sure what you mean by OS. Do you need this program to run on both Windows and Linux? Or is one of the other fine?

What languages do you know already?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

OS = operating system. Only one system. No internet. I haven't coded in almost 10 years. Trying to get back into it. Loved it then. Just couldn't find work. I learned on visual studio 6, I bought vs.net 2002, it won't install on vista.
What choices do I have to create a GUI?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

So you are looking at a windows application. What language did you know? VB.NET might be easiest, but it depends on what you were doing. You can download an updated VS express edition for "learning purposes".

My advice is write it out. Plan what the application should do. This is before even thinking about how pretty it could be.

What information does it need to store?

What does it do with the information?

What are the expected inputs?

What processing does it need to do?

What should it output?

These are starting points. BEFORE you decide on a GUI.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

I don't think VS Express is limited to learning purposes. I say this after spending a long time reading through the license. It seemed to allow commercial use which I was naturally sceptical of. After a load more research on the internet, it seems that the license really does allow for commercial use. Of course, a professional developer would be insane to use it. The paid versions offer so much more that working with Express is almost crippling. However, I suggest that if you are just getting back into programming you might not be in a position to make use of the fancier features even if you paid for them. For just this one project, it might make sense to use VS Express. If you used to use VB.NET 10 years ago then I suggest it might be an easy way in.

If you are going VB.NET then Windows is the obvious choice of OS. Make sure you do check the OS of whoever will end up using the program. That's the main consideration. My guess is that it will be Windows with an outside choice of it being a Mac. In the case of the latter, choose a different language.

VB.NET lets you draw a GUI with the mouse. Don't be fooled by that. Start with the database. Then build the core of the application. Then put a GUI on top. In reality, you might develop all three at the same time but do give the most serious thought to the database. The user interface is the easiest to tweak and change. If you mess up the database and have to start it from scratch the disruption will extend to every corner of your code.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

First learn the coding language.
THEN worry about writing the program.
We tell people over and over and over and over - but they don't listen.
We continually see people who decide to learning coding by writing a program for their club, or church or parents or whatever. They know nothing about programming, yet think they are going to start out by designing a program to accomplish their end need. It never works out well. You don't start architecture by hammering boards together in the hopes of somehow building a house with no real plan.

You can't learn software engineer by trying to use this cemetery program as the vehicle for your education. You'll need to work your way through a few books JUST learning and doing the assignments. Then work your way up to something like this that will require: Good GUI design, database back end, audit trail tracking, multiple privilege levels for employees... At the barest minimum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1