3 Replies - 1320 Views - Last Post: 30 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Moving up the chain of command.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hello All,

This is something which has I have been thinking about for a while now, just how does one go about moving up the ladder as a developer? I am looking to move into a senior developer/project management role but I find myself faced with the chicken and the egg scenario again of "You need experience to get a job but can only gain experience when you are in a job".

I worked in an admin/accounts role for several years before retraining to become a software developer and in that line of work getting promoted was just a question of kissing the right ass :-) However in a job like ours I am pretty sure that's not the case.

I feel comfortable in my technical abilities, my position in the company and my general people skills but I just find I have no idea how to "Move on up" as someone once sang.

Any one got any advice or suggestions?

As always thanks for taking the time to read this and apologies if it has been posted in the wrong place.

Kevin

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Moving up the chain of command.

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Moving up the chain of command.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

Do you remember the punch line to the old joke: How to do you {move up to} get to Carnagie Hall?

A: Practice, practice practice,

Coding does not have a magical list of rule that are different than other jobs. You still have to kiss the right butt. Not make enemies. Be personable. But most of all, prove yourself through your work, especially on the right projects.

I would make a point of trying to see where the company software development road map is GOING. Not where it has been. Is there a plan to move from WinForms to WPF? Then learn WPF ahead of your coworkers. Is there a desire to move away from desktop apps and go to software as a service? Then learn all you can on that so you can make suggestions about what to do and technologies they need to be aware of. Learn the pitfalls!!!! If you can save the company money, time and embarassment by knowing the mistakes most people make in a transition then you are gold.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Not to mention it depends on your company's progression path. There should be clear delineations between roles.. find out what they are and go for the angle.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks very much for the advice.

Kevin
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -