5 Replies - 1429 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

• D.I.C Head

teaching Java / motivation

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

i am currently tutoring a friend of mine in AP comp sci but she doesn't seem that motivated to learn. I have tried everything from going over the lectures from class, helping her with labs to giving her custom programs to make in order to help her with what she is having trouble with but nothing is getting her motivated to learn. She doesn't complete labs on time and often just asks people to do the labs for her all together. Has anyone been in this same situation and has tips to get people more motivated to do the work or at least motivated to learn the material? I'm getting close to throwing in the towel because of her lack of effort but i dont want to see her fail.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: teaching Java / motivation

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Re: teaching Java / motivation

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Sometimes failure is the motivation people need.

To be honest it really shouldn't be your job to motivate her. You are doing her a favour by teaching her this stuff. If she doesn't want to learn it then that's her fault - not yours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

This person?
http://www.dreaminco...end-learn-java/

Have you heard of the expression about leading a horse to water, but not able to make them drink? Some days that happens and fundamentally can't change it. You've done your due diligence (or so it sounds like) and if she is unable to do her work to get a passing grade then.. well.. let the chips fall.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

it is the same person modi and she isnt failing. she has like a 75 but thats with me doing most of her work for her. I might just call the tutoring off because of how little effort she is putting in. Ive helped her with alot of our assignments and whenever i look at the original code she wrote it just seems like she should be back in the intro course for how poorly written it is. However, her mother is paying me now to tutor her and if i just stop tutoring her i dont want her mother to think i just gave up on her.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

To give an example. Look at the some of the post this board gets. There is an entire sub forum dedicated to I don't want to learn just give me what I want. If she doesn't want to learn you can't make her. Let her fail and either start the class over, or change what she is taking. And STOP DOING HER WORK!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

she has like a 75 but thats with me doing most of her work for her.
her mother is paying me now to tutor her and

So you are getting paid to do her homework.. If you are cool with that then keep at it.. if you are not then don't. Personally I would stop.

However, her mother is paying me now to tutor her and if i just stop tutoring her i dont want her mother to think i just gave up on her.

Why the hell does that matter?

If this girl is not going to live up to her end of the deal then end it. The alternative is to stop wringing your hands over the whole process. From the last thread to this one it is a constant drone of 'oh noez' and some sort of self appointed "white knight" complex. Either nut up and let her fend for herself, or put up with it and accept course you are taking. Seriously.. the other thread had a ton of people explaining how you need to stop doing her work for her.. you seemed to have ignored that advice and where has it gotten you?

From your other thread:

View Postshortbus, on 08 November 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

... snip...
i am tutoring her because i want her to learn the course material and acually be able to program something half decent.
... snip ...

*YOU* are tutoring her because *YOU* want her to make some program.. again stop treating her like an idiot and realize, perhaps, she doesn't want to do this.

View Postshortbus, on 08 November 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

... snip...
if she isnt willing to put it in then to just drop the class.
... snip ...

Also from the other thread - you have your answer then.. let her drop the damn class.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1