6 Replies - 984 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

About challanges/mini-contests

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I saw there were a "52 week challange" forum, but last posted in 2010, as well as the Contests forum which also was quite "old".

One thing I'm really looking for, is a good programming community with people challanging in some way, or help out with good ideas for them and post feedback.

In my case: I have only been programming for some years (my introduction) and taught myself through a vast assortment of C++/C# etc. e-books.

The writers of these books, however, don't always agree, or teach quite differently. Not to bother, I'm passed the stage of getting a style down, BUT what I do miss is a class where frequent tests and challanges are given to test/hone your skill and get constructive feedback.

I have had none of that, and tbh I really don't know what I might have missed, or what I should work more on.

Therefore I ask if there is a forum, or if there could be one here, where challanges like these can be set up? Or if I can ask one of you here?

Challanging myself gets quite weird, as I usually do something I know how to do, or I make it so hard that it would take me months to finish. I need some third-party perspective and idea :P

Anyway, if anyone is up for it I would appreciate it.

Thanks, best regards
Řyvind

(PS: Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I simply took the first line of description to heart. )

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: About challanges/mini-contests

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: About challanges/mini-contests

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Check out Martyr2's Project List.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

The projects list in one part of the equation. To fulfill your need for constructive feedback, consider the "Share your project" forum here in DIC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

If you want some challenging problems, I've found that projecteuler.net and rosalind.info have then in great abundance.
Both sites ask that participants not provide solutions to their problem sets, and we tend to frown on "how do I solve euler #N?" type posts, but if you want to discuss general strategies for solutions to problems in either of those sets, you could do so in the computer science section.

I've got a list of programming challenges that I've not had time to develop sufficiently, but if you look in the python forum, you'll find the ones that I did post. Although they're listed under python, they should be good problems in any language, and people seem to have enjoyed working on some of them. Look under Python Advanced Discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

Also some of the programming languages section on Dream.In.Code have a Challenges section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

Thanks guys! These are some great resources. I've been to projecteuler some time ago. Ok challanges, but a bit too "narrow", if you will. I'd like to make a more meaningful application with more than _1_ problem to solve.

The project list was awesome, and I'll most likely start on it!

The "share your project" forum is great, and I'll post it in there, and hopefully some replies will be given!
A lot of projects though. I'm sure it's preferable to post all of my progress on all the projects in the same thread?

Thanks again guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm sure it's preferable to post all of my progress on all the projects in the same thread?

Yes.. or in a blog.

(My Account -> edit my blog )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1