4 Replies - 820 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Quickly put, how should I start learning HTML and a few other things.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

Please pardon my ignorance of any of the forum rules or policies. After a bit of reading and searching around I don't see anything about this post that is extraordinarily against the rules and if I am wrong please forgive me this one time.

I am feeling a bit overburdened trying to learn how to code in html and create my own website along all the other things I would like to do. After quite a bit of googling and searching I just couldn't find a good starting point to take off learning from. I attempted to find a sticky here and see if there was a good place to start from but I cannot seem to find any such thing. Aside from that I have a few questions about what I should consider either learning, doing, or whatever after I have came this far in my website.

I currently have a VERY simple website that is stuck to one page only and doesn't amount too much.
This link will take you to my website in what little of it's glory exists.
Project Socius
From this point on I have no clue where to try and expand my knowledge to start and at least make a preview too my website.

Very simply put I have no idea where to go. I apologize if you have to see these threads everyday but I just can't find the learning materials I am looking for. Most websites are too scattered on the information that it feels like I have to know what i'm looking for to find it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Quickly put, how should I start learning HTML and a few other things.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Quickly put, how should I start learning HTML and a few other things.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:02 AM

Very simply put I have no idea where to go.

How about you explain your destination.. where do you want to go?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:08 AM

htmldog is one of many sites that have tutorials on HTML, CSS and Javascript. There is also tutorialspoint.

But what tutorial or book have you been following up until now..?

I agree with modi123_1 though, your question is too vague currently.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 01 December 2013 - 04:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

I would like to apologize for the lack of detail and vague question.

What I am currently working on is essentially going to be a forum. While it sounds very simple if you have experience I am having a lot of issues in learning anything about html. Quite a large number of websites I go to looking for tutorials usually have a jumbled mess of tutorials that vary in range of experience for each tutorial. Most of the time I feel like everything is going way over my head.

What I want in the long run is for the website to be more dynamic than a typical forum and I know that requires a bit of knowledge into other coding languages, graphic design, and a few other things I'm not sure what I should consider learning and what I should ignore. While most the factoids can be googled, I would like to have a bit more of a personal and more custom response to what other languages I should learn if there is anything more than java that I should be taking into account or if there is certain languages I should avoid.

I assure you I will check out the linked websites and see what I can learn from them. As for any other knowledge it's been mostly a mess of google, f12, and basic experimentation. I had a webdesign class in highschool that basically taught me the generic process of using dreamweaver and uploading a website and that was about it. I consider the class a joke all in all and would like to claim that I didn't learn anything there.

Objectives
- What languages in accordance to html should I consider learning (I assume css and java are both included due to your post andrew)
- Is there anything that isn't qualified as a language that I should consider learning

Both of those are very broad questions still but I can't think of another way to word them. But since my first post I do have a few more specific questions that might seem quite basic. (Although I do promise not to spam the boards with little questions like these so bare with me for now please.

-Text wrap, I have googled and search for a way to stop my text from moving when a screen size is changed or is too small to fit it all perfectly. But I can't quite find the right answer to my problem.

-How does a webpage respond to new input: in other words how does facebook accept a status or an image and make it display on the webpage? I assume it's some sort of script and as for the image I assume it would be saved to the server so that it can be displayed similarly to an image I would put up myself.

-Where can I learn more about scripts and what are they considered (html? c++? i really don't know, I will google it but sometimes you have to how to word a question for it to give you the right answer so if you know that would really help.)

While I am sure i'm just being a nuisance at this point I will continue searching on my own until I find the answers. If this still isn't clear enough I am sorry to waste your time and if you have any answers I would be eternally grateful for you humoring me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Java is not Javascript, which is what is used as the 'client side' code. There are numerous server side languages to use, but I think at this point you are over your head as you stated. Start with either html5 or html, CSS, and Javascript. They each have things you need to learn before you move on. Then, look into PHP or node.js after you have learned the previous 3.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1