2 Replies - 453 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2013 - 08:45 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need general information on how game engines are made

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hello folks,
So, I started learning Java 10 days ago, so I know i have pretty much everything to learn. I was wondering if some of you could explain to me (very generally of course) about the STRUCTURE of a typical game engine.
By that i mean: what are the elements (physics engine-collision detection, shadowing etc; AI; what else?) of
a typical game engine? What is necessary to learn in order to implement graphics in your code (java or c++ or any
oop language)?
Another issue i have been wondering about is how to BRING IT ALL TOGETHER. So far, i managed to master the basics of java and i get the concept of object oriented programming REALLY WELL (obsessive about maximizing encapsulation etc)
but i just DON'T KNOW what it takes to create a simple game, lets say like conker: live and reloaded.

Example: Say i have written a simple physics engine that deals with collision detection and can calculate the coordinates of two colliding particles. How do i, say, implement GRAPHICS to it so i would actually SEE a collision and not just get a set of values?

I hope i was clear enough. Again, i am really looking for very general info, just to make some order inside my head. But don't hesitate to answer me with technical terms, really whatever your input is on that topic will be great.

Thank you very much

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 01 December 2013 - 12:17 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed size formatting

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need general information on how game engines are made

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need general information on how game engines are made

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

So far, i managed to master the basics of java and i get the concept of object oriented programming REALLY WELL (obsessive about maximizing encapsulation etc)

No offense, but if you have been learning Java for 10 days, you probably do not have OOP down really well. You are probably missing a lot of important concepts like arrays, Strings, and loops.

but i just DON'T KNOW what it takes to create a simple game, lets say like conker: live and reloaded.

This is not a simple game. This takes teams of experts months (if not a couple years) to develop.

Have you developed more basic games like Tic-Tac-Toe, Rock Paper Scissors, a Guessing Game, or Blackjack? Try starting there.

Example: Say i have written a simple physics engine that deals with collision detection and can calculate the coordinates of two colliding particles. How do i, say, implement GRAPHICS to it so i would actually SEE a collision and not just get a set of values?

Again, not to be rude, but the Java GUI is quite thick and dense. It is not easy to work with. If you have been programming for 10 days, you're not there yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need general information on how game engines are made

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Game Engines are a huge concept and not one I think you can learn without training or experience.

This bit of light reading should help though.
Game Coding Complete
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1