1 Replies - 442 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Freelancing - worth it or waste of time?

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hello everybody,

As somebody who has learned the basics of programming, is freelancing something worth pursuing?

From what I hear, you can barely make more than $5/h from it due to the crazy competition from India and other Asian countries.

What are your experiences with freelancing? Do you think it's a complete waste of time or a fun job at home that can provide consistent income?

Regards,
Ivan

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Freelancing - worth it or waste of time?

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Freelancing - worth it or waste of time?

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

View Postjuniorcoder20, on 01 December 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

As somebody who has learned the basics of programming, is freelancing something worth pursuing?

If you know your craft, you can sell it for whatever you ask.

From what I hear, you can barely make more than $5/h from it due to the crazy competition from India and other Asian countries.

Sub par coding is inexpensive. Crappy business practices will purchase crappy code because it's inexpensive sure. But is every economy car a Ferrari? There is a reason that Ferrari doesn't sell economy cars. Can you compete with the quality of these coders?

This back & forth is old, & really plaid out. If you are targeting price, you won't win. Ever. So don't target price, target quality.

What are your experiences with freelancing? Do you think it's a complete waste of time or a fun job at home that can provide consistent income?

You're focusing on all the wrong details, imo. You need more than an introduction to coding to compete in freelance. You'll constantly have to sell yourself & your abilities.

It's not about landing the gig, it's about following through. It's about completing the gig.

Best of luck.

Also, these are the same answers that I've given numerous times in the freelancing sub-forum where this topic is more appropriate. I'll move it there for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1