1 Replies - 388 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2013 - 02:55 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to create a setup file in C# VS 2012 having database ?

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

I've created a windows form application in c# and sql server 2012 database. I'm using VS 2012. I wanna create a setup for this application, and want to get the database configuration file with the setup files so that i can be able to customize it for deployment purposes.

please help me on this, Any help appreciated.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to create a setup file in C# VS 2012 having database ?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to create a setup file in C# VS 2012 having database ?

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

Do you want this setup to use a standard installer? If so you could look into Installshield or Wix. If you just want a 'setup' style thing for the database, you must create a one time use form that your user must enter the information they need (like database credentials/server/config info) into via a series of inputs where you can then save them, then when the application loads, it gets it's settings from the file (for example, you could use XML Serialization or INI to save the data. INI is interesting as there is no built in parser, but it can be fun and simple to build your own!).

As for the database, you can either create a text file with the SQL commands that build the database, or hard code them into the application. So when the database credentials are specified, the program connects to the database and creates the tables automatically.

This post has been edited by jhouns: 02 December 2013 - 02:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1