5 Replies - 1230 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2013 - 03:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do i need a game engine to make a game?

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi, so I was wondering if I need to make a game engine to make my 3D C++ game? I have made my own 2D game from scratch in java but i've decided to change course to C++. What i'm asking is can I make a 3D game from scratch like I did with Java or do I need to make a game engine or use one that exists. If I need to make a game engine can you tell me books or websites I can look at to help me or give suggestions to a already made game engine that I can use. Thank you for reading, sorry this was a long question and thanks for answering in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do i need a game engine to make a game?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do i need a game engine to make a game?

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Typically.. yes.. you need to have an engine (either built by you or borrowed) to make it function correctly.

Moving to the 'game dev' section.

If I need to make a game engine can you tell me books or websites I can look at to help me or give suggestions to a already made game engine that I can use.

Read the pinned threads in the game dev section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ok, I have begun reading some of the pinned topics in the game dev section. I know have a different question. What IDE would be best recommended for making my game engine and game? I used eclipse for java but I am hearing about visual studio for c++. I'm fairly certain eclipse has a c++ ide also but just want to know which would be better or more recommended. Thank you for clearing up my main question and thanks in advance for anyone who answers my new question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

It depends. Are you going to be using C++ or Java to make your engine + game?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

It depends on your environment.. I mean you won't be using MS Visual Studios on a mac, right? There is no real "best".. pick one you are familiar with, that isn't sunsetted, and go with with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Ok thanks I think I am going to use Visual Studio to make my engine + game. Now i'm left with a big question... Which API for graphics should I use. I have been contemplating this question for awhile and have been going back and forth with OpenGL and DirectX. I have heard that DirectX has the full package with graphics, audio, and various things, but OpenGL is just graphics. Now what makes me still consider OpenGL is the fact that it operates on all systems and, from tests I have seen, Generally runs faster then DirectX. Now since OpenGL is only graphics and DirectX has everything would it take me longer to make my engine/game with OpenGL especially if I want to add another API for audio or other things, or just use DirectX and have the full package? Thanks for answering these questions, being new to this community it's a first to see replies so fast! Thanks for answering my next question in advance!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1