10 Replies - 1539 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

php code for MMO

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

Thank you for taking a moment to view my post.

First and foremost I must admit that I know very little about php, I am not a coder & frankly doubt Ill be capable of writing functional script in the near future. I ask you forgive me then for any layman or rudimentary terms I may use however, I will do my best to communicate what I am seeking.

For the past 2 years I have been researching various php based games, reading forums, speaking with users and have seen many rise and fall with very few capable of long term sustainability. That being said I have comprised a game format that I would like to take from concept to reality. I have a degree in business & marketing and my passion is graphic design but what I lack is the codes and or coder hence why Im here.

Is there a working code generator? or do all php codes need to be hand written? if the latter is the case where would I look for a coder to work with and how is it generally recommended they are compensated? (for a game I can hardly afford a $40 an hr coder. Is it considered rude to offer compensation in the form of a partnership?

I currently have 2 domains and 2 hosting services. I have tried to dissect codes from out of the box games simply to try to gain an understanding but if Im going to make a for profit game I would feel better with 1 or 2 concomitant coders.

Not knowing code, is this just a pipe dream to put a game together?
Thank you for your and I value your input.

DB

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: php code for MMO

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: php code for MMO

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm moving this to the cube, as I feel it should be looked at under the light of a businessman trying to figure out to "start up" a concept. I know I have pursued a startup myself, and we pay coders through partnership and compensation with shares. It's not an impossibility.

Anybody other than me have some light they can shed on the topic?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Oh no not the cube, anything but the cube :) Thank you Dogstopper, I did not intend to misplace the post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Speaking as somebody who has worked as a freelancer, and had to live on that, I would not have risked spending a whole lot of time on a project that only had potential future income. Putting the whole gamble of it aside for a moment, most people can't go on for very long without a decent income. Future profits won't feed you today, or pay this month's rent.

Of course, you may always luck into somebody who has the time to spend on it, but for the most part I doubt you'll find anybody who can do this as anything more than a side project. Even then you'll have to make a damn good case for why you think it'll be a success.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thank you Alti, I understand what your saying we all do need to eat and I guess the risk would be shared in that case. Making it in everyone's best interest to not just make but keep it successful. Ironically, that is one of the largest complaints about those games they are started by young skillful coders who know enough to get it out of the box and add a couple mods but fail to address errors.
This is why If this can /will happen I need a coder with as much to loose as I do and as driven to make it succeed. We all do need to eat, I guess Im looking for someone willing to eat ramon noodles for a bit in hopes of eating a steak in the future like me. (sorry vegans)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

I need a coder with as much to loose as I do
Im looking for someone willing to eat ramon noodles for a bit in hopes of eating a stea

Is this a "misery loves company" sort of thing?

Is there a working code generator? or do all php codes need to be hand written?

Since not all games are the same - yes.. there will (more than likely) need to be custom code.

the latter is the case where would I look for a coder to work with

Do I need to move this to 'post a job'?

and how is it generally recommended they are compensated?

Typically money works well.

There are so many things that sounds like they are missing.. number 1 - is there a plan? I mean how much of this project is laid out? Do you have screen mock ups? Interaction with pages? Game rules? Some sort of log-in system (if there needs one)? Milestones? Data storage to consider? Graphics? Story plot, writing, progression, marketing, testing, updates, etc?

Next I am always interested in hearing what you bring to the partnership (outside of what ever game idea you believe you have ginned up).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks modi, right now all mock ups are all pen and paper before I put all the time in graphics I would like to know what a coder needs so I can build up around there requirements.As to what Im bringing to any partnership primarily my ability and track record of effective marketing outside the simple game rating sites, some resources as well as the willingness to lay out the advertising monies, hosting, domain, & associated licensing and programing fees. I also have the ability of doing a majority of the graphic design work and most of all my current position allows me roughly 11 hours a day to dedicate to design and marketing. Lastly and most importantly a written contract protecting your code and your work.

Misery loves company? Perhaps but we all have better things to do than seek misery, myself included If I didn't have a reasonable expectation of success frankly I would not be wasting my time here. Like you I have better things to do Im here because I have a passion. So post a job? no more than anything I want a feeler if Im seeking the impossible the improbable or the possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

You could download example games (they exist, but the code is crap), & use your graphical experience to alter the setup.

I think the most difficult task that you are going to experience is finding a qualified coder. Meaning, anyone is going to tell you they know what they are doing, & that they are interested in the project. But how will you judge their experience & abilities? Coding isn't on a binary level of you either know it or you don't. Poor coders will code to get the job done quickly, just working, & not care about proper procedure, proper coding quality, security issues... well not know or possibly not even care. & part of that 'caring' is the pay. If you are paying upon completion, there is little desire to code it fully, because more code & more planning means more time. If they pay is the same, then that's less per hour for the duration of the project. But if you are coding per hour, how are you to properly judge the daily input? The entire thing is a miss on your point.

In regards to the ramen noodle comment, you're really going to have a difficult time with the project by the direction you've chosen. Any coder that is experienced & educated with php as you are with business is going to be looking for paying jobs. If you are offering pay upon completion, you could easily put 2 years more into your project with dead-beat coders that accomplish little or even possibly nothing, creating constant setbacks. & by then we've moved onto php 6, & you get to start all over :)

Your best bet may actual be consulting with a coding shop, rather than independent free-lance coders. I think you'll get a more realistic answer by talking with a sales-rep for the company. This will alleviate feeding the coder(s) a weekly paycheck, & provide you with the ability to pay in bulk at time of completion, or possibly something upfront & the rest upon completion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

You might try some professionals, I know a handful of people, but you better bring the A Game. That is complete pitch from What you want to do to what you want to accomplish. I am an idea man with coding experience (eventually I will get my game off the ground, but mostly it entertains my aspergers). I have seen some of the market and have a good idea on what will boom and what will fail. I have seen alot in 20 years. So the real question comes down to it, how much are you willing to spend? Are you willing to Spend time to learn the code or spend the money to get code created? How fast do you want it created (large games take years, fast flash can take months)? What style are you looking at (Application, Console, PC,etc)? What is your marketing (web clicks, TV, Music, Paper,etc)? How many people do you want to let in on the project? This question is based on the size of the project and what you are willing to spend.

Those are just some of the general Questions. You get further in the those questions the more detailed you have to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

No2, Thank you your correct about the out of the box codes like MCcodes I have been looking them over just to try and familiarize myself myself with the code and editing images though my attempts to load it have failed till I learn how to plug in to SQL and build the database and have purchased hosting plans with both Ipage & Hobohost as I was told they will differ and wanted to see what difference there was.
Your advice is well taken as I have had the pleasure of speaking with some fine young coders how as you said know more then me but most likely not enough to modify the existing scripts to my needs. At this point I'm discouraged by the reality that the investment will be more than I would want to get involved with to (what I thought) was to simply modify some of the codes of a standard crime game and adapt it to a medieval format.

@alapee Thank you, I think I will follow your advice and at the very least create the pages in static with standard html links to present the visual layout so someone can see what needs to be coded.

Thank you again to all who took the time to share information with me and offer great advice. I wish you all the best in your personal ventures & thank you for your professionalism and for not flaming someone who has no place being in a tech forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

For the past 2 years I have been researching various php based games, reading forums, speaking with users and have seen many rise and fall with very few capable of long term sustainability. That being said I have comprised a game format that I would like to take from concept to reality. I have a degree in business & marketing and my passion is graphic design but what I lack is the codes and or coder hence why Im here.

I think if you're looking at a web-based game, you're probably looking at the wrong sector of the market. It's possible you may succeed, but it's more likely than not you won't. The games market, for independent developers, is really the mobile market. I'd be more tempted to find someone that can develop iOS or Android apps and work with them to develop some sort of freemium app (or pair of apps). Android has a low barrier for entry, requiring only an Android developer's license. With iOS, you really need a Mac to develop an app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1