• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 2780 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

TASK- The Public Needs Fresh 2014 Software for DexDrive Use

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

Hi, Everyone!

I'm new here to D.I.C. forums. I'm a Web Developer, and I know much Javascript (incl. JSON, JQuery, MooTools, Prototype, etc.), HTML, CSS, and PHP scripting lanugages fairly well.
However, unfortunately, I know next to nothing about typical computer programming lanuages (used to build desktop apps), such as C, C++, C#, VB, etc.

The reason for this post is that though oddly enough I have ALL 'complete' ('Express' plus 'Full') versions of MS Visual Studio, ranging from VS 2005 (albeit patched) to VS 2013 installed on my PC (as DreamSpark academic software from my local community college), I don't know how to program in many of the main languages supported by the software, and I need to build a much needed desktop app soon.

I have attempted to start a project in C# to build a Windows 7 'Device Stage-compatible' driver (where the product icon shows up in the Windows 7 control panel under 'Veiw Devices and Printers') for the now, and long-time, defunct company, Interact's, PlayStation, and Nintendo 64 DexDrives.

The Hardware is only about $10.00 each on eBay, brand new, and I have both the Nintendo 64 type, and PlayStation type. However, as many people who brought it, as I did, have discovered, there is no current software, neither as a [current Windows 7 Device Stage-compatible] driver nor application to utilize them except some random ugly software made many years ago. So, about 2 weeks ago I started this endeavor on my own during my spare time, and aptly named my solution 'Dexware'. However I have only a shell of a program using 'This Ribbon UI code'.
I have posted what I have (incl. compiled [non-functional] application, splash screen, images, and solution file) in a zip file uploaded 'HERE'.

I am reaching out to the community here at D.I.C. to help finish this product, start an organization and corresponding website to support it, and to support the involved programmers time and energy, offer a 'Pro' version for about '$24.99 USD' with extended features, and a fully functional [non-trial/non-handicapped] 'Free' version for FREE.

Let me know A.S.A.P if you want to help with this project.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

James Anderson, Jr.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: TASK- The Public Needs Fresh 2014 Software for DexDrive Use

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Re: TASK- The Public Needs Fresh 2014 Software for DexDrive Use

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

I might be interested. Do you have a set pay structure or is it DOE?

edit:

FYI, Section 3 Subsection d Dreamspark's EULA:

you may not use the DreamSpark Direct Subscription software ... To commercially publish and distribute a computer-based software application that you developed using the DreamSpark Subscription software

So your first task should be to purchase a valid Visual Studio to use. The free Express version has similar limitations.

This post has been edited by Robin19: 03 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

I'm going to move this to Post a Job. Let me know if you would rather have this in Share my Project. Essentially, you are enlisting help, but don't have any specifically focused question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostRobin19, on 03 December 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

I might be interested. Do you have a set pay structure or is it DOE?

I'm not familiar with what 'DOE' means, but the revenue that the 'Pro' software version makes, plus free version donations, will be divided evenly between the developers. Installer-attached software sub-systems like 'OpenCandy' will not be used on this app [for obvious ethical reasons].

View PostRobin19, on 03 December 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

edit:

FYI, Section 3 Subsection d Dreamspark's EULA:

you may not use the DreamSpark Direct Subscription software ... To commercially publish and distribute a computer-based software application that you developed using the DreamSpark Subscription software

So your first task should be to purchase a valid Visual Studio to use. The free Express version has similar limitations.

Don't you think I need to learn the software, and how to use it, before purchasing the full retail version? Otherwise, I'll be needlessly throwing money in the wind. Besides, that's what academic/educational software is for -to educate. Once I fully learn what I'm doing, then, and only then, will I purchase the full VS for production use, in order to legally distribute the software.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

By merely putting the code for other people to contribute to it, you are already distributing the software. If the intent of the software is for commercial use, then you are in violation already. Granted that Microsoft may not go after small fry like you if you are only making a few bucks here and there, but it does put the entire infrastructure into jeopardy if you are raking in the millions. Of course, if you are raking in millions, you could probably afford to buy a legal team that can take on Microsoft.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 03 December 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

By merely putting the code for other people to contribute to it, you are already distributing the software. If the intent of the software is for commercial use, then you are in violation already. Granted that Microsoft may not go after small fry like you if you are only making a few bucks here and there, but it does put the entire infrastructure into jeopardy if you are raking in the millions. Of course, if you are raking in millions, you could probably afford to buy a legal team that can take on Microsoft.

Calm down, man. Why so paranoid about violations? I am not distributing anything. What I posted is some graphics, splash screens (all original work, by the way, without the use of paid MS software) and a failed attempt at an app. There is not much even done in any VS suite or program. There is included code from other peoples attempts at a similar undertaking, which is included just as an example, but it was not created nor updated with my copy of MS VS. Please, calm down. You going to have a brain aneurism!

Though not to stumble anyone about software licenses, I've deleted the example. So if you want to help, now you'll have no guide...
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Considering that you're looking to make money by distributing software, I'd think you'd have a little more concern about people respecting intellectual property and copyright and licensing restrictions and like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 04 December 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

Considering that you're looking to make money by distributing software, I'd think you'd have a little more concern about people respecting intellectual property and copyright and licensing restrictions and like that.

To "make money" is NOT the main goal of this software nor project, just a perk for the hard-working developers. The main goal is to give people who buy these specialized DexDrives a decent combined driver/application solution, to use their device in modern times, on modern OSes and modern PC's. Currently, there is nearly no software nor support for these devices available online, let alone modern. The company went defunct many years ago. Hence, the need is great, and we (me and a team of professional software developers) are looking to help fill it.
  • +
  • -

#9 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostJamesAndersonJr, on 04 December 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

View PostSkydiver, on 03 December 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

[size="2"]Calm down, man. Why so paranoid about violations?...

Nobody isn't calm or is paranoid. We're all trying to help you stay out of potential legal trouble. Please don't be defensive when you get advice you weren't expecting.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

As has been stated, the MSVS-based work has been deleted; now if anyone wants to help, they'll need to take the ribbon code mentioned earlier in the original post, and start from there. I came here for help and instead I get accused of software license violations?! You should know, the same rules apply for anything misused or [in essence] stolen, including mp3 music, torrents [that contain software, movies, games, cracks, crackers, etc.], license keys and the like. At least I can say 101% of the software, games, and Music (brought all from Amazon) on my PC is legit, and legal, which is more than many can say. Please be enlighten by, and take to heart the following scripture taken from God's Holy Word -The Bible:

Matthew 7:3-5
New International Version (NIV)

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

POPULAR

Well, when the defensive scripture starts flying, I know I'm done. Good luck with your enterprise. It certainly fills a much-needed void in the software landscape.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#12 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

POPULAR

I came here for help and instead I get accused of software license violations?!

What part of this aren't you getting? Nobody is accusing you of intentionally violating software licenses. People were warning you of unintentional violations, and explaining how that might happen. They were trying to help you, not accuse you. Nobody wants to see you get in trouble over something they could help you avoid.

Why do you get so defensive? Going so far as to quote scripture (scripture that's calling us all hypocrites, no less). Please get over yourself, and understand that just because you're not getting the exact advice you want, doesn't mean you're not getting useful advice.

However, since you back-handedly called me a hypocrite (very Christian of you, btw), I'll leave the thread and leave you alone. Good luck in your future endeavors, and good luck finding people to help you with your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

This conversation is not exactly what I had in mind when I opened this thread. :no: I only got slightly offended when people started talking about my VS software licensing rights because A.) That was not the threads primary purpose, B.) I don't even know how to use the software, let alone create anything to unlawfully distribute, and C.) I work very hard (via 'due diligence') to make sure all software, games, etc. I buy for my PC and every other platform I have is legit, legal and not counterfeit, nor pirated.

To where and who apology is due, I apologize if I came down too hard on the advice I was given by quoting scripture, but it irritated me just enough to do that when this thread had drifted completely off-course. It became nearly useless for the help I was really looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Okay, so here's the concern: your student license specifically forbids you from using the licensed software to develop commercial code - that is, code that you intend to distribute for profit. That's the deal you agreed to. Since you say you want to distribute this for profit, you're in violation. Probably not intentionally, but you're in violation. The point was to make sure you were aware of that, so you could take appropriate steps. Some appropriate steps might be:

- acquire adequate licensing for your purposes
- drop back from the plan to charge a fee for the software and issue it under an open license, as a learning exercise
- pivot to other learning projects and return to this one when you're ready to work on it under the correct licensing
- continue to work on this out of license

If you choose the last option, DIC is not the place for you to talk about it. As a matter of policy, we don't support IP violations, even minor and apparently harmless ones.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

View PostJamesAndersonJr, on 03 December 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Once I fully learn what I'm doing, then, and only then, will I purchase the full VS for production use, in order to legally distribute the software.

To be fair to me you should repeal the -1 rep you gave me, because here I explicitly stated, once I learn the software and before the app is distributed I would buy the full version. Not paying attention to detail, is not an excuse for undue accusations, or disciplinary actions.
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +