2 Replies - 428 Views - Last Post: 07 December 2013 - 12:13 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[Lua] OO - why the redundant assignment of __index?

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm learning how to implement basic OO in Lua. I've found online from various sources that this is the common format for a (very) simple 'class' that can make instances of itself:
MyClass = {}
MyClass.__index = MyClass

function MyClass:new(o)
  local o = o or {}
  setmetatable(o,self)
  self.__index = self
  return o
end

The use of metatables and __index finally makes sense to me after studying the manual. In the past I used to (incorrectly) set the __index of 'o' to self, which would obviously not make much difference until inheritance comes into play, but from what I understand the latter makes more (as opposed to zero) sense than setting 'self.__index = self'.

The 'self' in this case refers to MyClass, right? Then it's the equivalent of saying 'MyClass.__index = MyClass'. But looky there - that's the exact line above the 'new' function.

My question is this: 1) Why does this line need to be there at all, since the equivalent is executed already?
and 2) Why does it need to be called every time a new object is created? - there could be many instances, but only one 'class'

Could anyone give insight to this apparent redundancy?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Lua] OO - why the redundant assignment of __index?

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Lua] OO - why the redundant assignment of __index?

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

This isn't in the right section for future notice. Someone that can move this will move it later.

for starters I would do the above the following way
MyClass = {}
MyClass.__index = MyClass

function MyClass.new(value)
  local o = {value = value}
  setmetatable(o, MyClass)
  return o
end

function MyClass:GetValue(value)
  return self.value
end

local test = MyClass.new(10)

print(test.value)
print(test:GetValue())

function test:GetValue()
  return self.value + 10
end

print(test:GetValue())

it is redundant and you don't need to do it

1) self.__index = self is redundant. just set it once at the top like I do. otherwise you are setting it a bunch.

2) it doesn't, don't do it, it is bad

3) 'new' should, IMO, not have a self parameter. I prefer the way I did it as I only talk about 'MyClass" rather than "self" which strangely reference MyClass unlike every other method.

4) I added some code after to perhaps clear up any remaining confusions

5) Just to be clear when look up in the first table fails it uses that tables metatable's __index property. __index can be either a function or a table. If it is a function then it is called with some parameters. If it is a table then lookup is preformed in it instead (which in turn may result it ITS meta table being used)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: [Lua] OO - why the redundant assignment of __index?

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I feel a bit stupid now for asking something so obvious - but I'm glad someone else could confirm this for me. :D

I fully agree that it'd be better to make the 'constructor' 'static' indeed, it's the ambiguous self that had me (and probably others new to this concept) confused originally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1