2 Replies - 918 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Too late to pivot career path?

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hey everyone! I am currently learning C++ and Java, in hopes that I will work as a software engineer one day. Problem is, im 25 years old and have been in sales my whole life, so I'm starting to get a little discouraged. I see these kids come fresh out of college, and I have not been to school for CS but have had a passion for it for as long as I can remember.

My question: is it too late to change career paths and make the jump to software development? And do you think that at my age, this is feasible by just being self-taught, or would school (though taking longer) be the best route?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Too late to pivot career path?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Too late to pivot career path?

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

My question: is it too late to change career paths and make the jump to software development?

You're 25, not 95. Age shouldn't be a problem. Ability, study habits, retention, drive, etc will be the larger issue.

And do you think that at my age, this is feasible by just being self-taught, or would school (though taking longer) be the best route?

That's not really an age issue but a personal one.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Too late to pivot career path?

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Problem is, im 25 years old and have been in sales my whole life,

Please see the joke in this... "Your *WHOLE* life"? Like all 4 years since you were old enough to drink? WOW... You must nearly be ready for social security. I don't really classify the last couple years behind the counter at Starbucks or the mall cell phone kiosk as "Being in sales".

I see these kids come fresh out of college,

Dude... You *ARE* a kid. I have jeans and jackets older than you. I've not been to college at all. Yet I have changed from US Army, to Law Enforcement to software engineer. My last software job was 10 years and working on 5 of the 7 continents. My current one is just as global.

Hit the tutorials section and buy some books, then hit your computer hard doing all the exercises.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1