Ada 95 compiler

vista compatible

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 4749 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2007 - 03:23 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Ada 95 compiler

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:22 AM

I currently am using GNAT Pro for my Ada compiler and keep getting an installation error when attempting to compile anything.

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'gnat1' : No such file or directory

If anyone has any idea whats going wrong I would be very grateful. Not sure if it's vista thats doing this or what. I have tried uninstalling it several times and using different versions of Gnat always with the same error. Help please.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ada 95 compiler

• dream.in.assembly.code
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ada 95 compiler

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

Did you save your source file as gnat1 or gnat1.adb? If you've got the extension right, try MinGW. Its got an ADA 95 compiler as well. Im not sure if its going to work for Vista or not.

Check this site out for some ADA compilers: CLICK HERE

For MinGW, CLICK HERE

Check the system settings for GNAT Pro, does it say that it works for XP only?

This post has been edited by Louisda16th: 19 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

Well thats what I don't understand, my file is named "prog3.adb"

and I looked through the GNAT version I currently have and it says nothing about being compatible with anything specifically, from what I saw (of course I didn't read the entire thing but any area that would logically have that information).

But I think I pinned down the major issue, whenever I download the two separate files from a site, like the one you offered, I am told that they are not valid win32 applications leading me to suspect I'll have to find some version adapted to vista.

And I looked at your other suggestion: MinGW. Using that would not allow me to use adaGide which is required by my instructor. I'm not really sure where to go from here, but thanks for the help, guess I'll keep looking around and hope to find what I need.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• dream.in.assembly.code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:56 AM

Did GNAT pro work in a previous version of windows? Do you have an option to use another OS, like XP/Linux? Why dont you try contacting the GNAT Pro company (I think they're site is www.adacore.com). Ask them if GNAT Pro is compatibile with Vista.
Actually I'm new to ADA myself. Perhaps someone (like your instructor) may help you with this better.
I've used the GNAT GPL Version compiler. It didnt work for me so I've switched over to MinGW (and Cygwin available at www.cygwin.org). ( I use windows XP Home)
GNAT pro/GPL is a must for adaGide to work. So you'll have to either switch to another IDE or try fixing GNAT.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

yes I know for a fact GNAT GPL works on XP, its on every single computer in my university's network and I have never had a problem using it there, but the problems started when I tried to use the same programs on my laptop which uses vista

and I contacted my professor before posting here about the error I was encountering, she had never heard of it and offered no support in terms of what to do about it

thanks again, I'll take your advice and ask Gnat Pro through their official website, and if that doesn't work guess I'll be using the library a bit more than I had anticipated :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• dream.in.assembly.code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:34 PM

You could still use MinGW when you want to learn on your own and not when you are doing an assignment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• dream.in.assembly.code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:23 AM

I just got an e-mail update on a vista compatible compiler. Check it out if you're still interested : CLICK HERE

Dear GNAT GPL user,

A new GPL 2007 package for Windows that works on Vista is now
available. Included in this package is a newer Vista-friendly version
of the GNAT Programming Studio (4.1.3).

GNAT GPL 2007 can be downloaded from the “Download GNAT GPL Edition”
section on https://libre.adacore.com.

:)

This post has been edited by Louisda16th: 10 October 2007 - 03:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1