3 Replies - 1335 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Texas State Technical College - How does their program look?

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hey guys, I'm new here, but hopefully you'll be seeing me around a lot more.

First off, my goal is to become a Software Engineer.

This Spring Semester I plan on enrolling at Texas State Technical College to major in Computer Science Technology. Here is this link to the program: http://www.waco.tstc...uterprogramming

What concerns me regarding the program is that it only offers an associates degree. All the research I have gathered has led me to the conclusion that most Software Engineers have a bachelors degree.

I really want to be a competitive candidate when searching for a job.

Ideas, thoughts, or advice?

Thank you so much in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Texas State Technical College - How does their program look?

#2 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict

Re: Texas State Technical College - How does their program look?

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

I live about 60 miles from Waco and I haven't heard anything bad about TSTC. I know they have pretty good job placement rates and that is one of the things they brag about. I know most of the classes are hands on and they are big on learning by doing. The costs look pretty reasonable but they don't really have much detail on the classes. They also are accreditted so the credits should transfer to other schools to get a higher degree later on. If you go and talk to someone at school I would ask about what schools they work with for further education and try to get an example of the work in the classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostApokio, on 06 December 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

I live about 60 miles from Waco and I haven't heard anything bad about TSTC. I know they have pretty good job placement rates and that is one of the things they brag about. I know most of the classes are hands on and they are big on learning by doing. The costs look pretty reasonable but they don't really have much detail on the classes. They also are accreditted so the credits should transfer to other schools to get a higher degree later on. If you go and talk to someone at school I would ask about what schools they work with for further education and try to get an example of the work in the classes.

I have set up an appointment for next week to discuss with an adviser concerning this. This option would be great, because I do have ~20 credit hours already, mostly prerequisites.

I'm more or less wondering if it would be worth it. I can't really gauge the difference of job opportunities and salary when comparing a bachelors to an associates.

Thank you for your input!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

A lot of the positions I've seen for Senior Developer or Lead Architect type roles have said things like "4 years experience with bachelors or 6 years with associate"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1