10 Replies - 1699 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Yet another "Am I too old....blah... blah... blah" question

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi All,

I know most of you probably cringe when you see these questions, but, because I have been so selfless in answering the questions of others (not in these forums unfortunately) , I would now like to ask for the input of others: So here goes:

I am a burned out artist who has pursued a career in freelance illustration and creating 2D/3D assets for games for a number of years. I haven't had the level of success that I would have hoped for. I have worked really hard at developing my skills and for a multiplicity of reasons that needn't be numerated I just don't have the desire to push on.

I have no problem sitting in front of a computer 12- 13 hours a day. I have taught myself scripting languages and feel that even though it would take a herculean effort I would love to code. The problem is I'm 45 and despite the fact that I don't look it, or act it, I'm getting older.

My big quandary is, do I pursue Software development or Web development? I would love to stay in the Game industry on the Development side (not the art side) whether it be web, console, or PC but I realize that this is a stretch...I would be a super duper late bloomer. It's ridiculously saturated and the competition is fierce. So the question is what skills should I develop in the instance that game development is not a viable option. I.E what all around coding skills would enable me to integrate into other industries or do I just have all of this ass backwards in my thinking.

Now respectfully, before anyone suggests that I bite the bullet, buckle down and push my art to the next level . It's not a consideration. This is a fresh start. I'm done. This is the beginning of my second career.

Thank you for your input I appreciate it greatly. Avi

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Yet another "Am I too old....blah... blah... blah" question

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Yet another "Am I too old....blah... blah... blah" question

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

i believe gaming systems use c++ dfor the most part so there is your start
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

do I pursue Software development or Web development?

That choice is up to you, but ultimately you should know a smattering of the other that is not your strong side.

So the question is what skills should I develop in the instance that game development is not a viable option. I.E what all around coding skills would enable me to integrate into other industries or do I just have all of this ass backwards in my thinking.

All of them? Typically one would learn how to program and then bolt on the game part.. so structures, logic, syntax, concepts, how to dissect a project, why commenting and documentation are important, etc. I would suggest watching one of those free online classes "introduction videos".

ftp://ftp.cs.princet...book.pdf‎
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

From the tone of your "Yet another..." title, I would wager you know full well what we're going to tell you about age and education. You're never too old to start. Period.

View PostAviGreenhut, on 06 December 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

I have no problem sitting in front of a computer 12- 13 hours a day. I have taught myself scripting languages and feel that even though it would take a herculean effort I would love to code.

What scripting languages do you know? And why would you need to invoke Hercules to make a career change? Are you capable of rational thought? Are you capable of logical thought? Can you math? Then you're pretty much set to get started.

The problem is I'm 45 and despite the fact that I don't look it, or act it, I'm getting older.

45?? Seriously?! 45?? You still have a whole world of life ahead of you! Had you said 95, I might have smiled a bit and given a short message of encouragement. But 45? Get off your tuckus and make the change!

My big quandary is, do I pursue Software development or Web development? I would love to stay in the Game industry on the Development side (not the art side) whether it be web, console, or PC but I realize that this is a stretch...I would be a super duper late bloomer. It's ridiculously saturated and the competition is fierce. So the question is what skills should I develop in the instance that game development is not a viable option. I.E what all around coding skills would enable me to integrate into other industries or do I just have all of this ass backwards in my thinking.

In the words of the great Orville Redenbacher, "Do one thing, and do it better than anyone." Pick a concentration and learn it. If you get into it and don't like it, pick another one, and learn it. Don't second guess yourself. Just do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think the age concern he has is colored by the industry he has been working in. In the game industry typically they only hire folks in their their 20's for entry level developer positions because of the nature the work hours and work culture (despite laws against discrimination by age). For somebody older, the expectation is that the person already has either industry experience, or has enough translatable skills from a previous career.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Granted, I work in web dev, not game dev, but I found landing an entry level position in my 20s to be impossible. I had to work on my own to build a portfolio before anyone would even look at me. I didn't get my first actual job in the industry until I was 30. I interviewed for the position on my 30th birthday, as a matter of fact.

If he starts his learning now and builds a portfolio as he goes, he'll have a substantial body of work to show off at interviews. It's been my experience that demonstrated knowledge goes much further than anything else in this field, as I can honestly say I have landed every single job for which I've interviewed with my portfolio.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Perhaps consider the Mobile industry. If you're still into games, it's a good way to go indie. Android and iOS are the two most popular platforms. If you want to go the Android route, learn Java. It will serve you well, since Java EE is in demand too. You'll have to learn a different platform for Java EE, but at least you'll have basic syntax. The iOS platform requires Objective-C (and a Mac).

Also- mobile apps other than games are in high demand too.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thank you all for such informative answers. Ok..... now that I've got the "Am I too old and feeble at 45" crap out of the way. It just took a few people saying shut up and do it already. I guess the next step is to choose a platform and language which seems more difficult of a task than to whether or not I should code in the first place :smile2: .

So considering I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into(in a good way). I'm just going to chose to go with Mobile Games and Apps with Android as my target and Java as my language. Unless of course their is a consensus that that is a horrible idea.

So far so good. Thanks a million

Avi
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

It's an occasional site glitch. Don't worry about it. Also, edit permissions come as you become more active. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hey macosxnerd101,

Typically I learn better via video's but books are fine as well. . I don't want to put you on the spot by asking whether or not a particular site like Lynda.com or such are good or not. Rather if you do have a recommendation I will seriously take a look .

Thanks Avi
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Start by learning plain vanilla Java before Android. You'll need a good handle on OOP in Java before starting with Android. I'm not overly familiar with Lynda.com. I would suggest the Tutorcles, DIC Tutorials, and a Java book to start.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1