16 Replies - 4802 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

2013 Year in review!

Post icon  Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

It's that time of the year again..

2013 - Is drawing to a close, and it is a good point to look back across the previous year and reflect on the paths traveled and see how far they deviated from expectation and remember what surprises we came upon.

Put on that critical monocle and take a few minutes to examine the highs and lows and share with folks!

• How did the year go for you?
  • Did you make any goals you set?
  • What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
  • Single best tech moment?
  • How about in the personal life?
  • How have you grown as a person?
  • What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated? .
  • Would you rank this a good year or bad?
      Scale:
    • -10 = worst year ever
    • 0 = pretty bland year
    • 10 = greatest year ever!

----

blah-blah.. my rant.. it's long

Spoiler

----
After you get done take a peek at 2011 in review.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: 2013 Year in review!

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2013 Year in review!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

POPULAR

I thought I did one last year, turns out I did one for 2011 though.

How did the year go for you?

Pretty good, remodeled my kitchen, convered my living room into a dining room (didn't have one before). I don't have a living room anymore, though if I were to sell what I use as my office could be called a living room really.

I've also decided to move to New England for a short time. Testing the waters up here, considering taking some land up here and doing a whole 'reverse snow-bird' type thing. It really hinges on how much I like it up here over the next 6 months.

Did you make any goals you set?

Made tons of goals I set. Especially with work. Mostly stuff I can't discuss though outside of what was already said.

What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?

I've recently more been learning about working with other developers with out getting frustrated. I've grown quite a bit from the angry bitter yelly kind of developer I used to be. My hair is benefiting from it.

Single best tech moment?

Deployed a pretty awesome hosted/cloud solution for our product that I and a buddy designed from the ground up (he handling the networking, me the application side). I'm pretty dang proud of it and we're coming out of beta with it this month and actually putting a real load of customers on (been running with only a couple hundred customers on up to this point).

How about in the personal life?

I read my last one in 2011 talking about my relationship with my girlfriend back then and how I was ready to actually say I could spend the rest of my life with her. Well I'm single now. But she and I are great friends... hit a rough patch with her jealousy issues that couldn't get resolved. And when I say friends, I don't mean "oh we're on good terms", we're still as close as ever. Just not on a intimate level anymore.

How have you grown as a person?

I'm surprised how much I've grown. Much calmer, less angry, actually at a point where I can start communicating with my family again. But at a safe distance... I don't want to fall back into my old habits again.

What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated?

I don't really pay attention to main stream games or the overrated stuff much anymore, so I don't know what would really be the most overrated this last year. I know a lot of the games, but meh... I stopped caring what reviews say. Same goes for underrated.

I can say I played a lot of good games this last year. One of the best was probably "The Stanley Parable".

Would you rank this a good year or bad?

This year was great. I'd give her a 7 or 8. Some minor rough patches, but over all pretty good. I seam to be getting a hang of this whole "stable life" thing as opposed to the chaos that was the first quarter of a century of my life.

There was some interesting hiccups though. A couple friends passed away again, that was a shame. One of whom though faked her death... someone she was in debt with was after her or some crap. Whole crew has basically said, "to us we already grieved your death, we'll leave it to that." Kinda burnt my brother though, that sucked. There was also that guy/member of friend circle/person who went to prison for killing a dude in a car accident and hiding the body...

But yeah, aside from that... awesome.

2014 goals - starting my company this July. That's going to be scary as fuck. And pretty much consume my entire year. It's one of the reasons I'm in New England, preparing for the giant change to my life this will bring.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 09 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Alright,

Spoiler

This post has been edited by axel1994: 09 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

My 2013 workwise falls into 3 distinct categories. Fairly good in parts 1 and 3 with a really shitty middle part 2. The best part about part 3 (now) is that I have a solid as hell contract with a big telecom and an offhand conversation on the way to an amusement park with friends in July has the potential to push my company into a new level with a new application I'm nearly done with. If all goes well the rest of this month, 2014 will start off golden.

Personally, I no longer measure my age via birthdays but by the birthdays my kids have. Parenting a baby was one thing, parenting a toddler another, parenting a grade schooler yet another still. My oldest will be 14 in less than 4 weeks and she no longer looks like a little girl. She looks like a young woman. I have no idea how to parent one of these. Trying to find the correct balance between granting incrementally more freedom versus maintaining some control is a cast iron bitch. My son is practically a carbon copy of me complete with many of what I see as my own faults. I'm his idol and deep down that scares the shit out of me. Trying to be someone that someone else (who's ridiculously important to you to boot) can emulate is 24/7 pressure. It wasn't until I was father to a boy that I had any clue the absolute shit I put my own dad through. That all came home hard this past year. My wife got even better this past year and I still wonder when she'll wake up one day. She claims she won't but in all honesty, I married way out of my league and I feel like a thief many days. Not an unhappy thief mind you...just not a whole lot of remorse to my game. This year was our 15th anniversary and I feel we're finally getting comfortable with one another. It's hard to describe but I suspect this is a situation that will always be evolving. It was just really apparent to me this year.

No major deaths this year (knock on wood). Wife's grandmother (90 later this month) and her uncle (a year younger than me with terminal cancer) are still with us and doing well and, if someone had told me last 12/31 that we'd lose both this past year, I wouldn't have been surprised. I count this past year as time we weren't entitled to with them...so that makes it good.

On the downside, my folks got visibly older this year. Mom especially. Dad's always been dad but there are days when I can clearly see what Mom will be 10, 15, 20 years from now...and I don't know that it's good. It's hard seeing your folks turning from old people to elderly.

I didn't pick up any of the "hot" video games this year. I got the new SimCity game early on but didn't end up playing it much. I don't play consoles. So, I have no idea on video games. I did discover a couple of really good book series that I very much enjoyed.

Went and saw some acts in concert that I really enjoyed. Did some things out of my comfort zone and survived them. Have some good memories from 2013 that I didn't have this time last year...so all in all, it was about a 6.5 of a year.

I'm still on the correct side of the dirt/no-dirt border so I'm counting it as a plus year. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

•How did the year go for you?
Pretty good year overall. Wife got a job teaching and started bringing in more money. I got a programming job offer and even though the money wasn't right I now know what I need to do to get the pay I need.

•Did you make any goals you set?
I made my goal of getting a job offer. I didn't meet my goal of coding something everyday.

•What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
I got much better at creating Android apps. I understand Android pretty good and when I set out to do anything I can do it quickly and right the first time.

•Single best tech moment?
Getting my home security to work all together. I was a pain but it got done and now works like I wanted it to.

•How about in the personal life?
My son became potty trained this summer. I am diaper free forever. My daughter is growing up and is very smart, probably smarter than me. My finiancal situation is getting much better which reduces stress levels.

•How have you grown as a person?
I learned I need to be confident about my skills and not be afriad to show people my work.

•What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated? .
Well I don't read reviews, but I enjoyed Minecraft and Counter Strike Global Offense this year. I was disappointed with the new COD.

•Would you rank this a good year or bad?
I would say this year was an 8. Many good things happened but would have been a 9 or 10 if I would have got that job at the pay rate I wanted. I ould have taken it and maybe have been more happy. We will see what happens in 2014.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostApokio, on 10 December 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

•How about in the personal life?
I am diaper free forever.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

Well.... I didn't think that far in the future. Damn you, Craig!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

We start in diapers...we end in diapers. [cues Lion King Circle of Life theme music]
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm afraid this year is possible the best year I will ever have as a responsibility-free minor. One of our friends had a license with... unlimited gas and insurance all paid for... The end result was the best summer we've ever had. Now we all have jobs and stuff.. Not saying there won't be anymore fun, I'm just worried about becoming limited and tied down to my responsibilities. However having a job ain't bad! My schedule is very flexible and having a disposable income is everything I dreamed it would be.

Had a lot of drama that taught me about what real friends are, and as such me and my real friends have grown very tight.

All in all I'd say it's a 9.

I do have high hopes for the upcoming year however. When this time comes next year, I better be saying a 9 or 10. And hey, winter break is coming up. Gonna end this year and start the new one with a bang.

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 10 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Gonna end this year and start the new one with a bang.

Make sure to use protection.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#11 laytonsdad  Icon User is online

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

This year was an adventure. Fun but stressful.

I mad a goal to learn some new aspects of jQuery and Javascript and did that.

I learned some basic python, node.js, and arduino programming language

When I made my first LED blink on the Arduino Uno board I got.

Too much to talk about.

As a new forum leader in JS I found my interpersonal skills to be lacking and have made great improvement.

This year was about a 5 for me, can't wait for 2014 and many more.

This post has been edited by laytonsdad: 10 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

This year was pretty good overall, none of my family died or anything, so that is always a plus. I graduated college (back in May) and got a job (which is awesome considering that a lot of my friends haven't managed to find a job (at least not one in their field of study) at this point, so I am kind of blessed to at least have an income). I got to play some video games, and was able to upgrade my computer to a gaming rig (16GB RAM, 2x2TB HDDs in a RAID0+1 setup, i7 4.1(?) GHz processor, nice graphics card). I also went to Hawaii for graduation (a gift to myself) with a group of friends for a week. That was a lot of fun, and I'd definitely suggest it if you ever get a chance!

I graduated and got a job, so I count both of those as a goal met :)

Played around with HTML5, but I haven't made a website in a few years, so I didn't actually put it into real use yet. I am looking forward to using it in a side project I am working on (I'll give you a hint, it includes the standards for HTTP, WebSockets, and JSON :) ). I also got a nice chance to play with Arduino for a while, it is pretty cool what that little processor can do. I wound up getting a rPi type-B, but I haven't played with it yet...

Single best tech moment?

I am going to go with next generation consoles coming out, but I am not overly attached to it. I haven't had many other superb new tech moments this year. Phonebloks does pique my interest though, so hopefully it will become a reality in a few years (or at least Ara...).

Well, like I said, none of my family died, so that's good. Other than that my personal life has been pretty bland. I have started trying out that whole online dating thing, but it hasn't worked out too well so far. Hopefully something will come of that, otherwise I'll feel like it was just a total waste of money.

Well, I have an income, and an emergency fund, and a retirement fund, and am saving up for a car, so with any luck I'll have a car to talk about withing the next 6-12 months.

I haven't paid attention to too many games, I purchased pokemon, but I think that is the only new game I got this year... other than maybe Dishonored, but I haven't played much of that yet.

I would say somewhere around a 6.5 +/- 1. It has been a good year, but it could have been better overall.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

My critical review of the year.

Start out crappy and almost finished still crappy but the last couple of months is seeing an up turn.
    Began on Unemployment Benefits and finished not. I also took a step back from programming for a while.

Only just managed it, goal find a job.

Async and Await (I know it use technically released last), but Win8 and the new XBOX One has push the use to the front.

I would have to say castAR as it, could be a massive egg on the face moment for Valve.
    As well as an amazing engineering developed by engineers that are passionate about what they've developed. It as the potential to be massive, not only the gaming product arena. From the demos and reviews I have seen, user get that magical sense of wow!

At the start of the year I wasn't in a good place mentally. After having strong suicidal thoughts, a close friend helped me contact the local Mental Health Access Team. Who helped me get mentally assessed quickly, and monitored my condition whilst finding treatment. The counselling and medication have helped a lot. The fluctuations in my mood are not as extreme and more stable, they are still "issues" presents which I'm working on.

Mid November I finally found a programming position (starting in mid December), the company (which I'm not going to mention) are aware of my condition and understand it and are willing to accommodate it. Negotiated a shorter working week (4Days rather than 5) for more time away from work. It allows me to continue to do things that I need to do to look after my mental health (which they also think I still need to do), switch off and relax. The positions appealed to both sides of me:- Technical and Creativity (Artistic). As they develop product to help people with dementia, autistic, mental health problems. For example Mood Rooms, which use colours, display, sound to affect mood (eg relax you, inspire you).
    I could see we the product could go in the future, like making it interactive and reactive.

During the year I also undertook a Trustee position (Treasurer) for a local organisation (soon to be registered charity) that helps people in recovery drugs, drink, mental health etc. Same group of people that helped me get support and treatment.

Over the year I've learnt a lot about myself. What works for me and what doesn't work for me. The trustee position has shown that I can handle a such a responsible role. Introducing system to keep the finances within tight limits. Next year we have a much better sense of the costs, and can better plan the budget for it.

• What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated? .
    Not a gamer. I like playing FreeCell though, where I have a 99.44% success rate only lost 2 games out of 357. Longest winning streak of 225 games.

Rating:= -4

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

It was okay. Lots of ups and downs. Big meh I guess. Got back into school, big plus, got hurt pretty bad, big minus.

Got accepted into college at OSU so I could transfer in with a clean[ish] slate and finish my degree. Not starting out well, I must admit. Meh. I'm expecting a 2.6 GPA. Jk it's actually a 2.1.

Nothing, spent a whole 20 mins programming this year. I don't even have an IDE, NP++, or anything on this compuer.

Single best tech moment?

Got a new computer that actually plays games. That's pretty cool. I also got my cable fixed, so now I can watch cartoons.

Meh. Nothing going on here.

I might be slightly more mature?

Overrated: Anything CoD
Underrated: The Binding of Issac

6/10

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 11 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 December 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Never a dull moment, I'll give it that much.

Quit smoking! w00t!

Also: still alive, still employed.

Uhhhh.... *stares blankly, begins to drool on self*

Single best tech moment?

Facial reconstruction through the use of 3D printed medical implants Oooh! Personal tech moment! Launched the beastly bitch of a new work site FINALLY!

There are somethings y'all just don't wanna know. Frrl.

From side to side.

I don't play games. I prefer to create my own first person drama and tension. And I do a bang-up job of it, too.

Scale:
  • -10 = worst year ever
  • 0 = pretty bland year
  • 10 = greatest year ever!

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +